Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Babysitter / nanny wanted / After School Care Sitter Needed
« Last post by Elaine on August 21, 2015, 11:56:46 PM »
I am looking for after school care sitter for my 2 kids, just for a couple of hours and P.A days as well.
Location: Lakeshore Boulevard West and Browns Line.
Please email me for more information:

Thank you.
Health and Safety / Birth mom diagnosed with Brain metastasis(cancer)
« Last post by mimiv045 on August 01, 2015, 12:47:50 AM »
Dear brothers and sister,parents,friends etc My name is  Veronica i am deeply sorry that i am writing this with a heavy heart dough but i thank God for my life and everything i have been. i am a birth mom with an eleven months old adorable and gorgeous baby girl whom i am at the verge of loosing her love for ever due to  Brain metastasis. My doctor has advised me to place her for adoption so i know i ma die soon. If you are looking to adopt, i think i am here to make your dreams come true please call or email or text me now.
Name:Mimi Veronica
Babysitter / nanny wanted / Oshawa care needed - school age
« Last post by michellelea007 on July 30, 2015, 01:52:03 PM »
Looking for evening/overnight care for a 9 yr old boy.
Before & After School care for September 2015 for children ages 3.5 13 years old attending Walpole North Elementary. Im a private home childcare provider located in Townsend.

Flat Rate of $125 per child per week
$8 hr per child for Before OR After school care only

Includes Drop Off & Pick up at the school bus loading area, an afternoon snack and craft/activity time until pick up time.

Receipts provided for Income Tax purposes

Weekly flat rate includes PA Day scheduled for the school year

Available for Snow Days, March Break & Summer upon request.
I have 2 girls one 6 and one 3 looking for care as of July 6 2015 unfortunately most daycares are 2000 a month for care and I can't afford that kind of money.  I am looking for a mature responsible person willing to watch my girls from 8 until 5 wages negotiable please contact me via email if interested.
Starting a daycare / Re: opening a home daycare
« Last post by Rachael on June 24, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »
There are day care regulations which change by province.
Some provinces require all day cares to be registered with Community services or otherwise they are considered illegal.
Some provinces allow unregistered day home (also called private).
Check your regs for your province.

ALL provinces limit the number of children a day care provider may have. It doesn't matter if she calls herself a babysitter, a day care, a child minder or any other title. If someone is being paid to look after children who are not direct family, then the day care regs for that province apply.

In NS, a carer may have no more than 6, including her own until hers are 12 years. So even if a child is in school all day, they count. A provider with 3 children of her own, under 12 years old, cannot have more than 3 day care children.

Ontario regs have just changed to the total of 5.

Manitoba is 4 I believe.

PEI is 7.

It totally changes based on your location

Quebec is totally different. A provider cannot demand notice period if a parent wants to leave. There are very different rules for Quebec because of their subsidized day care for all.
Starting a daycare / Re: dayhome fees
« Last post by Rachael on June 24, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »
I have a daily fee but fees are paid in advance bi-weekly since that is how most are paid.

Payment is for the days reserved for a child, not their attendance so I multiply the daily rate but number of days reserved for that child (5 for FT) and that's a weekly fee. I double that for the bi-weekly fee.

I don't charge monthly because the number of working days a month change between 20-24 depending on where the weekends fall. It means having a variable monthly rate to reflect the number of week days and is overly complicated. Charging a flat fee normally results in lost income.
Canadian Child care / daycare news / Re: Opening an unlicensed home daycare
« Last post by Rachael on June 24, 2015, 12:32:32 PM »
What province are you in?

1. How do I register my daycare name? Do I have to have a daycare name if I'm not licensed? I would love to have a name. Smiley

You do not have to register your inhome day care. It's one of the few businesses where it's not required. However, without a business number to include on tax receipts, you must instead provide your SIN number.

No, you don't need to register regardless of being licensed or not, you can operate under your own name. But if you want a business name, then you have to register your business in case someone else is using that name all ready. It protects you from getting a bad rep from a business unconnected who has the same name.

2. I want to be able to give out receipts to the parents because I want to give them the opportunity to tax it at the end of the year. Do I have to have a daycare name if I give out receipts?

You are legally obligated to give out receipts. You don't need to be a registered business (for this job code) to give receipts.

This guide is by the CRA and tells you what you must include on receipts.

Essentially, you must have name of parents, name of child, dates the receipt is from and to, amount paid by parent, your name, your address, your SIN, your signature.

3. How do I pay taxes on my "pay checks"? How does this taxes thing work?

You are considered to be an independant contractor which just means you are self-employed and not an employee. As such, you have no protection from Labour Standard Laws and so you need to protect yourself. Make sure you have a contract which spells out your service and is signed by both you and the client. Make sure the client gets a signed copy as well.

And the end of the tax year, you do your taxes and pay your tax bill in one hit. Save the fees from at least one FT day care child for your tax bill.

When you do your taxes (I use UFILE but there are other softwares too), you must also pay CPP. You pay the full amount for your province since there isn't an employer contributing on your behalf. So be warned, you pay what an employer + employee would normally pay between them.

Also, the self employed can now opt in to EI. The coverage is NOT the same so think carefully. If you opt in, you cannot make an EI claim for one full year and you cannot make a claim just because you are low in clients. It's solely for if you are on mat leave, have a sick dependant child, or if you are prevented from working and have zero business income. You cannot opt our once you opt in so you must decide if you benefit from having this. You can opt in at any time and do so by calling CRA and that will be the start date. Your EI is also paid year end.

Food and Nutrition / Re: Breakfast and Snack Ideas
« Last post by elly-care on June 09, 2015, 10:29:11 PM »
banana bread made with pureed cauliflower in place of butter works great
Kindergarten / Re: Age for kindergarten
« Last post by mariasmith on June 04, 2015, 03:36:15 AM »
My daughter is 2 years old and I have enrolled her in preschool. Before going to kindergarten, kids should get prepared for it. At the age of 5, I will enroll her in kindergarten. In preschool, she will get habit of it and activities, programs will help her in future. As, directly admission in kindergarten is not good, as I think it gets difficult for children to adjust in full day school.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

©2016 All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources