Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Accident report - unusual incident  (Read 3718 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Accident report - unusual incident
« on: February 13, 2008, 12:49:22 PM »
I fill out an accident report for accidents that caused injury to a child..not for every scratch and bruise, but for sure for anything that required any first aid.  Any hit to a head is considered serious and a phone call is made to the parent immediatly.  A serious occurance is filled out if any child has to go to the hospital for any reason.

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
Re: Accident report - unusual incident
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 04:20:33 PM »
We are required to keep a 'non-reportable accident book'  for the occassional scratch, bruise, bite, etc.  Parents are to review and sign that way they know what happened and that we document so if there is any accusations we have something to back us up.  We have government forms to fill out for reportable incidents (injury requiring a doctor, aggressive or unusual behaviour, suspected abuse or neglect, death, lost child, incidents/suspected problems with parents.)  I have found the non-reportable book to be very useful with 'dramatic' children who make something out of nothing.  I had one four year old child who bumped his funny bone against the wall while washing his hands and I was on the other side of him handing him a paper towel.  Well, all hell broke lose and you would think he was severely injured.  He was yelling and screaming at me that I hit him and of course I didn't even touch him, was on the other side, etc.  This was not the first time this child did this (actually, he did it quite often with everyone and I had had enough.  I was nipping this in the bud!)  I knew that this was a kid that could cause a problem so I had my practicum student who had witnessed it review and sign the report and we met with the parent.  This was a common occurence that the family was dealing with and once we talked with the mom and the child together it stopped.  It may seem like nothing but this is a child who would lie, make up stories, had social difficulties (he very sweet and smart but something was missing and it is not unusual of bright kids to have social difficulties).  All it would take is for him to make up a story and I would be in court!    Now, I have had to do reportable incidents for parents who show up drunk, drugged, have abusive behaviour towards me, do not pay their fees (because you want a paper trail of problems with them- they are the ones who will falsely accuse you of something), children who show signs of negelct, sexual abuse, show violent behaviours, require stitches.  Thankfully it has not been a regular part of my administration to do these.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:20:53 AM »
Is this non-reportable accident book, something new that is required by the government or just something that not everyone puts into practice?  Don't we have enough forms to fill out, without adding more?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:48:30 AM »
Im not sure if its required in BC where Jen is, but I do keep a record of accidents in a book just for my records and to cover my ass should anything ever come of any bruise or scratch.  All the forms you refer to is a result of the history of childcare - providers/cnetres have learned to cover their butts!! Far too many false alligations!  And one cannot remember who was there, what exqactly happened ...4 yrs ago lol

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 10:01:18 AM »
The non-reportable book is required by licencing here in BC and just like spud says, it is to 'cover our butts'!  It is just a notebook not specific forms but we are required to have the date/time/incident/details and reviewed/signed by parents/caregiver.   

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 02:45:40 PM »
Ahh...okay I understand now...i used to keep a log of all incidents that occurred daily in our classroom book, but keeping a notebook in a centralized place would have been much better.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources