Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Changes to fees in Alberta  (Read 3948 times)

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
Changes to fees in Alberta
« on: February 20, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »
Alberta NDP Leader Brian Mason announced today a $268 million program to create 4,000 new child care spaces in the province and a plan to place caps on daycare fees to ensure they are affordable.

He contended that caps on the amount daycare centres charge won't hinder the opening of new privately-operated daycare centres because his party will increase start-up grants from $1,500 per space to $10,000 for daycare centres and to $2,500 for day homes. It would also provide daycare subsidies for eligible families.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/features/albertavotes/story.html?id=6c6f2049-d8e2-482f-91f2-e131e72e1bfd&k=1557

What do you think of this? $25 per infant ($500 / month max.) per space is quite inexpensive for parents, but can providers survive on such cap?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: Changes to fees in Alberta
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:26:59 PM »
If the governement wanted to subisidize the childcare provider to pay the missing fees,that would be ok!..or perhaps the will pay for all the supplies and food too, then it would be fair to the provider..
If providers do not feel it is worthwhile to do daycare or find they cant make enough money themselves then they will go work somewhere else and then again the province will be lacking spaces...

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 07:30:16 PM »
It is always interesting to know what is happening across Canada.  Just like spud says, if the government provides an operating grant (a minimum of $15 per child, per day for children not in school and another $10 for school-aged) then the capped fees go to the privider and centre/s salaries then it is OK.  If there is no grants then I think centres and family dayhomes will close creating less spaces than there already is.  The cost to provide quality care that enhances children's development is costly and if there isn't something in place to cover it, then children/families will be worse off than they currently are.  Good thing we didn't move to Fort McMurray!

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 03:16:58 PM »
I would think the only ones that would remain in childcare (if $25/day was the max aloud and that was what people would get paid) would be temporary stay at home moms (on mat leaves, doing it under the table -no reciepts - and plunk kids infront of the tv..cuz educational materials cost money and requires training if you want to provide stimulating care)..25x5= $125/day (thats IF a provider had 5 kids in their home under the age of 5 -every day)
divided by say 12 hours = 10.40 per hour with no scheduled breaks, no sick days off, or paid holidays and no benefits- MINUS operating expenses...I cant say that pays a qualified childcare giver enough money to remain in the business of quality childcare..I would see them going elsewhere to work..even a factory would pay more than that..heck i think TIm hortons pays that and gives benefits, breaks etc. :)

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
Exactly!  Then in BC people are starting to get excited about the possibility of full day Kindergarten for 3's and 4's because they are thinking it will be free.  Well, it is only a feasibility study that will be done (more waste of taxpayers money by the government  -just put the money INTO care and education NOT ANOTHER STUDY!), where they do have full day K (North Van.) it is NOT FREE, it is $370 per month for the afternoon program then they still need to find childcare for after 2:30 p.m.  I know here in town they were going to offer full day and while half the day would be 'free' (through taxes) it would be another $400 a month, minimum for the other 2 and a half hours then parents were going to have to pay another $300 for childcare after school - if they could find it. I know that daycares are already saying if the full day goes through then parents have to realize that daycares will become non-existant except for infants/toddlers.  They aren't going to stay open for one infant and two toddlers then only take after schoolers there is no financial feasibility in it - so there is the study!   On top of that, their full day K will likely cost them more than daycare so it wouldn't be financial feasible.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:53:11 PM by jharrisece »

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 10:29:28 PM »
If the governement wanted to subisidize the childcare provider to pay the missing fees,that would be ok!..or perhaps the will pay for all the supplies and food too, then it would be fair to the provider..
If providers do not feel it is worthwhile to do daycare or find they cant make enough money themselves then they will go work somewhere else and then again the province will be lacking spaces...

I don't think the government should be subcidising food and such. I think if parents are not willing to pay for the extras then it should be up to them to provide food (or pay for food and other consumables collectively).

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 01:41:28 PM »
I wonder if childcare providers in Alberta are making enough to stay in business...is that province giving each family kick backs from its oil profits? perhaps that money helps the province enough...?
I would be very interested to hear from anyone in Alberta!
I wonder how families would feel about sending or paying for own craft and playdoe, and supplying own car seats, playpens, safety equipment, bandaids and food each week?..if paying ...childcare fees would be back up to $35 per day from the Max $25 the government there is trying to set.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 01:44:59 PM »
so, if a childcare provider in alberta did care for the max $25 per day for the max of 2 children under age of 2 or so..they would make $50 per day for 10 hours care and if parents didnt pay for supplies then take that away from their 5 dollars per hour.  yikes..I wouldnt be in daycare for long in that province.

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 04:39:59 PM »
We were considering moving to Fort Mac and went up there to seriously look.  I even got the licencing info. sent to me and had a visit with the LO who is a friend from here.  Three years ago the fees were $1,000-$1,200 a month for all children regardless of age.  They may have a maximum of 6 (including their own under 12).  It was not uncommon for providers to be making $5,000 a month - and they didn't have ECE's up there either -  they were screaming for them! Now in Calgary it is the same and $50 a day is the typical fee in Fort Mac./Edmonton/Calgary and that does not always include anything.  So add in your transportation costs, art/craft supplies/food, etc. and there is another $15 a day.  So if the government put a cap then I can't see people staying in.  My friend who is the LO said that the government will have to heavily subsidize the centres/caregivers. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 04:59:21 PM by jharrisece »

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources