Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: first Universal Child Care Benefit cheques are being printed  (Read 11990 times)

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
first Universal Child Care Benefit cheques are being printed
« on: February 21, 2008, 10:24:43 PM »
Today in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Social Development, announced that the first Universal Child Care Benefit cheques are being printed and that families should receive their cheques before the end of July.

In Oakville, Ontario, the Honourable Bev Oda, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Status of Women, was joined by Garth Turner, MP for Halton, and Mike Wallace, MP for Burlington, to present a symbolic Universal Child Care Benefit cheque to a local family.

http://news.gc.ca/web/view/en/index.jsp?articleid=227869&

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: first Universal Child Care Benefit cheques are being printed
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 01:37:35 PM »
Yes in 2006 the first cheques went out.
These $100/month cheques are in place of a national childcare program and supposedly will help with the childcare crisis (not enough quality spaces and is supposed to help make childcare more feasable for families and is supposed to give more choice to families...)
2008-  Does the cheque cut it!!??

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 04:56:34 PM »
Here in BC the subsidy amounts were increased in October, 2005 and the eligibility was also increased so the $100 can pay the parent portion some of the times.  Although, many caregivers added in that $100 to their fees as they needed to raise them to reflect the true cost of care.  For example, our daughter (32 months) until she turns 36 months, is eligible for a maximum of $700 per month in centre care or $600 a month in family care (she is in FDC).  We make over the threshold amount (which they take 50% away from  ex. If you make $500 over they subtract $250 from the max. subsidy amount) but we are partially subsidized for around $400 month. For full day care where she is it is $32 a day or $16 for a half day.  The average rate around here is $700 a month in family care no matter what the age.  Centre care is actually less and they receive more subsidy for under 36 months but the same for above.  The government does not promote/advertise that there is subsidy and many families do not even know about it.

Just to show you, if you are curious, how they estimate the subsidy for a family.

I do not have the threshold amounts here with me.  I am trying to remember so here is my rough estimate.

Family of 3  $1280
Family of 4  $1430
These are the amounts of care that is licenced.  I believe that if the care is not licenced then they only allow for $515 per child, either age.   
Add $1,500 for every child under age 6 requiring care.
Add $515 for every child over age 6 requiring care.

This is the threshold amount.  (ex.  $1430 plus $1,500 plus $515 for a total of $3445 after tax, allowable income)

Take the total family salary (not including Child Tax, GST, UCB -  BUT add in any work deductions for medical/dental/RRSP's/child support/interest earned, etc.)  This is the family total income.

For us the amount is added up to roughly $3,800 because there is RRSP's and work deductions they don't allow.

Then take the difference between the two. If the family income is below the threshold then they qualify for the maximum subsidy amounts.  If they are above the threshold, then take the 'over' amount and divide in half.  Take 50% from the maximum subsidy amount and that is what they qualify for.

Now a family with 3 under the age of 6 is laughing because they can make over $6,000 a month, take-home, after tax!   
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 05:01:34 PM by jharrisece »

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »
"Now a family with 3 under the age of 6 is laughing because they can make over $6,000 a month, take-home, after tax!"

See, this is a big time problem. 72K per year per family is quite taxing on the system. Considering an average salary a person makes in Canada is roughly 36K (that's old data btw) one can see that it's half of that. So, having a large family is actually cheaper after all?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 08:23:16 AM »
Yet the family with 3 kids ages 6, 8, 10 (oh the expenses involved with clothes, food, school expenses and trips, and then daycare before andafter school and summer, pd day and march break, and christmas..)
have no support at all under the conservatives plan. The liberal plan that had been carefully planned over the past 13 years, would have cared for all children under the age of 13..ALL.  I think society would benefit much better from a national childcare program that doesnt discriminate against age.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 08:24:57 AM »
By the way, did anyone else get that little questionaire inOntario, that asks if you want to Keep it or Lose it?  (referring to the universal child care cheques of a measly taxed $100 per month for children UNDER age of 6) Ha ha, I of course wrote all over the questionaire..LOSE IT..and go liberal lol.and replace the universal childcare program...you know the one we worked on for 13 years! its all ready to go!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:26:16 AM by spud »

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 10:10:57 AM »
That is just subsidy herein BC - we need Canada to be the same wherever you go.  We here in BcCare also pushing for more subsidy for school-aged once they are above age 6 (the maximum is $200 a month during school and then it goes for school breaks but I don't know exactly how much.)

I have a meeting on Wednesday about this as I am the chair of the BCGEU Special Associate Members here in Kamloops.  We have to write up our press info. to get people to understand what a UCP actually is, how it will help, what it would look like, etc.  We are focusing on BC now (all the groups working towards the UCP) because we do not see it going Canada-wide and our province can't wait for it.  I honestly do not see Gordon Campbell doing it either.  He hasn't supported it at all but as a strong advocate I keep on going.. 

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »
Yes, I am a bit unsure of what BC actually offers...in all total..there seems to be all these little organizations , subsidies etc..but no real organzed program..am I right?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 10:17:28 AM »
If Canada was to be all on the same wavelength, turn back to the National Childcare Program that all these provinces and professionals and advocates worked so hard on to establish a program to benefit Canada as a whole...and in one little election the conservatives squashed the whole thing and made it all confusing again...we must go back to the National childcare program..is that what UCP is universal childcare program?

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 12:28:31 PM »
Yes, I think making a system that's the same across the board would be the way to go. I think child care is equally important to all parents whether they are in BC or Manitoba or Ontario. The only problem with it is that it is much more expensive to raise children in Vancouver, for example, then it is in a small community in PEI. If they could use a dampening factor of sorts to address that, we'd have a fair system. That's my opinion.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 12:41:03 PM »
They had all that figured out I thought...all would be given childcare and each province would be given what the needs assessments determined each province needed to run the program in each province...it was geared to income so that middle income families would benefit from it too, and the wealthier yet would benefit only to a maximum..lets face it, if they can afford to pay for it easily due to wealth, then its good they pay for it..but if middle income families are also included in full subisidy or $5 /day /child daycare then there is a fair distrubution allowing all income levels to benefit and all children the opportunity to engage in quality daycare.  Even stay at home moms would benefit as they would be able to enrol their child in daycare how ever many hours they saw fit or needed for themselves..their children could be receiving quality educational care while mom or stay at home dad is busy cleaning out the fridge, washing walls , doing laundry or groceries or whatever..it better for the child to be in a good learning enviroment while parent is doing those things ..and while other parents are busy working due to necessity...this serves all families and gives families "choice" even though the conservatives said it didnt and replaced it with the $100 cheque so parents can choose how to spend that $100...now giving someone a bandaid is not a real childcare choice now is it?

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 03:13:53 PM »
spud is enjoying her time on here today I see! 

BC does not have a universal program just subsidy for centre/family care, home care, LNR care, preschool and special needs.  Actually, years ago they said 60% of our subsidy goes to unlicenced care (no government expectations at all!) and no other province does that!  As a taxpayer - I want people to be held accountable and unlicenced care should not be getting it.

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 11:51:28 AM »
By the way, did anyone else get that little questionaire inOntario, that asks if you want to Keep it or Lose it?  (referring to the universal child care cheques of a measly taxed $100 per month for children UNDER age of 6) Ha ha, I of course wrote all over the questionaire..LOSE IT..and go liberal lol.and replace the universal childcare program...you know the one we worked on for 13 years! its all ready to go!

Nope, we didn't get anything. I guess that was a "statistical" poll and was only offered to random few.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources