Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Kindergarten controversy  (Read 2891 times)

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
Kindergarten controversy
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:08:13 AM »
Parents wary of imposing too much structure on tots

What would kindergarten for three-year-olds look like? Thatís the question many parents are asking themselves after last weekís provincial throne speech promising to explore the option of expanding the hours of kindergarten and opening the doors to younger children.

While the move could be the long-awaited answer for thousands of parents languishing on child-care wait lists, the announcement has been met with widespread skepticism.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/lifestyles/15864837.html

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
Re: Kindergarten controversy
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:57:58 AM »
Thank you for adding that!  I will say, if it goes through, I am one of those ECE's who will be applying for a job.  I already do occassional contract work with the school district and I know that they are shocked to see what we do, what we know and how we do it.  The school district had no idea the wealth of educated professionals that is out there doing the same job or more than their K teachers.  I still have concerns though and they are the same ones that were expressed in the article. 

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 03:48:28 PM »
hmmm. it would be very interesting to see what develops with this.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:48:14 PM »
uh...I too would be one of those qualified "teachers" for those 3 yr olds..and would like to see the pay :)  It likely would pay us more than doing daycare...so .... but yeah, how long a day eh! Private home daycare might still be an option for some families who choose not to take advantage of this kind of care..whre they can still be educated in a relaxed homey environment...but all us qualified providers might be working at the schools..so parents will really have to shop around for good home daycares.

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 04:33:49 PM »
Here in BC the 'push' is on for a $20 entry-level wage into the field for qualified ECE's.  The school district is also looking at that and I know that this Fall I will be working at $25 an hour with them. (working as part of a study).  The reason for that wage was that they looked at the education required and other professions with similar requirements have a base level of $20.   Other benefits are qualifying for EI/maternity leave/sick leave, sick days, pension, etc.  You can bet that ECE's will be lining up and applying!  As I come closer to 40 I am entering that time that I have seen so many other go in to when you start looking at the second half of your working life and realize that if you stay in this profession you have nothing to take care of you when you retire.  Finishing my career with the school district would be ideal and it has always been my goal to work with them. I have always looked at my small contract work with them as a way to show them my expertise, and having experience with them should help.  They are always telling me I should be in there!

As for families, many are expressing their concerns that 'the cream of the crop' / 'the best of the best' would be taken from daycare to go into the school district.  We have 9,000 qualified ECE's/SNE's/ITE's in BC who hold a current licence-to-practis with the government and the school district would likely need about 20% ofthem just for StrongStart.  Then add preschool for 3's and 4's and you could end up with 40% or more gone.  Top that with trying to find care for after 2:30 p.m. We already have trouble with lack of space for school-aged chidlren THEN add to that if 3's and 4's need care people are already saying they won't take them for 3 hours a day.  Then there would only be full day care for infants/toddlers and with FDC only allowed 3, well, people will either close down, charge way more for under 3's and still charge full amounts for under K's.  The government needs to listen to the studies that have already been done in this province not waste more taxpayers money to do a feasibility study.

As a parent, my youngest will be entering K in 2010.  If I work within the schooldistrict by then I will enrol her in the school I will work in.  She can then come to my class after her own.  A full day will not be a problem for her as she is already doing a busy day.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources