Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: cleaning  (Read 3658 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
cleaning
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:40:24 PM »
I spent most of my day cleaning - walls, windows, chandeliers..etc
Luckily my enrolment is just afterschool today so this allots some extra time during my regular work day to clean. Normally, however any deep cleaning I do, has to be done on my own time after my 10-12 hour work day.  Weekends are often spent ..cleaning.  I have often wondered about hiring a cleaning lady, but what an additional expense that woud cause me!  I often wonder - do parents want me cleaning while their kids are here (part of the time) or are they ok to arrive and notice wow, her walls need washing, wow, did she sweep the floor today? (uh yeah, likely once already!!) Or are parents more concerned that their child is clean, their child has had individual attention today, and had fun, and learned something new too.  comments please!

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 01:44:03 PM »
I should note that daycares have cleaning personnel..that do extra cleaning, but normally the staff are expected to wash toys, clean up after program activities and crafts..they tidy up after lunch and send dishes to a kitchen to be cooked and washed by kitchen staff..

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 02:24:05 PM »
You should also note that not all daycares have cleaning staff on hand, the staff members at most of the centres that i know about do most of the cleaning during the day..(sweeping,mopping, cleaning bathrooms, countertops,) on top of the rest of the duties that are required to be performed.  (And if there is a cleaner, they usually come in after hours and do a quick cleaning (mop, vaccum, wash toilets, etc, or staff are required to do this before leaving, as it was at a few centres i know at.  Is this what educators should be doing with their time?)These are not home daycares that i am talking about they are large childcare facilities.  Toys were rotated and cleaned on a weekly or biweekly basis depending on usage, any toys that were mouthed were washed daily.  As for you comment on lunch tidy up, and sending dishes to a kitchen, the same as what i mentioned above can be said....it all depends on what centre you are talking about, not everyone has the luxury of having cleaning and kitchen staff....

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 03:03:31 PM »
so I guess parents expect to find us cleaning or expect to walk in on an "off" day and find chores needing to be done?
...it all gets done..but theres only so much time in a day..so alot of it gets done after hours ..in home daycare centres, there is no real "end of shift" or anyone else to share in all the duties...this is why I wonder if it would be worthwhile to hire a cleaning staff 3x a year to wash down walls etc..it would be a business write off, and just a little break..certainly not a luxury and certainly not on a daily/weekly basis.
Does anyone know how much it costs to hire a cleaning lady for these kinds of duties?

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 03:08:55 PM »
My daughter's daycare hires two ladies to come in and clean every other Friday while they are at gym.  It is a write-off for the work area.  They also clean the rest of her house too.

My work area is seperate from my home and the regular cleaning is done as we go along (ex. washing hands then I spray the toilet, sink right after, clean the table/chairs after snack.  I also have a small vaccuum that I use if needed to clean up rice after rice play, snack crumbs, etc.  It would just be too messy if I didn't.  At the end of the morning I do a thorough vaccuum, wash floors, clean tables, chairs, bathroom but that is when we are finished.  Every other week i spend 7-8 hours every Friday doing a huge cleaning and also take down the theme stuff/set up new theme.  I figure I put in 15 hours every two weeks of my time to do cleaning.

When I worked in a large centre we also had to do the cleaning.  I typically had to stay after my shift (45 minutes each day) and do it - unpaid and no days off in lieu.  When we did hire cleaners they did a crappy job!

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 03:21:47 PM »
Jharrisece,
we must have worked at the same centre LOL.  I had the same experiences.  I remember doing exactly what you are doing, cleaning as the day goes on, after each transition, crafts to bathroom,to snack/lunch time, vacumming after nap. The list goes on and on..... 

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »
Luckily for me I am a bit of a neat-freak so cleaning isn't a nuisance.  At least not in my own centre, now home is a different story!  I could clean 24 hours a day with this lot!  I swear I need to vaccuum three times a day!  I like to say 'If my house is in order my head is in order'.  I am sure my husband uses it to mess with me by leaving things all over the place! When I sub I am cleaning up as well.  I sub where my daughter goes to daycare and I am more of a stickler for cleanliness (I even brought in a cleaning bucket and cloths as I found there wasn't enough) so I make sure things are neat, tidy and sanitized!  I barely sit down - I am constantly setting up activities, tidying up activities and interacting at the same time. I then do the cleaning at 5 p.m. (clean the bathroom, take out garbage, clean tables, chairs, sort the toys then vaccuum and wash the floor) so by 5:30 I am done.  I used to not do any cleaning until the children were gone - well, that is a 7 p.m. day-end then dinner at 8 p.m.  Forget it!  Licencing put it into perspective for me.  They said it is part of the job so should be done during work hours.  I have never had a parent question it - they all know it is part of the job.  In fact, I find they appreciate that you are taking care of their children's environment so well.  It is about their health andsafety.  Organization helps children to be more focused on activites, less disruptive and interactions flow better.  I have always seen that a clean, well-organized environment reflects in children's behaviour.

Do you find your hands really take a beating?  I have mild excema apparently (the doctor says) and it flares up in the winter, aggravated by cleaning all year though.  I never had it until I started working for myself and had MORE cleaning to do!  I do find Beauticontrol Hand Repair helps though and the Watkins lotion I started using is working even better.

OK - now it is time for me to put my laundry away!  I am finished work at Noon then do housework, household errands, etc. until 4:30 then it is dinner.  My day is still full even though I work part-time!  I actually find when I am off for the summer that the full day at home is busier than working part time!

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources