Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Need immediate advice about screamer and parents  (Read 4493 times)

Offline jaylasmom

• Infant
Need immediate advice about screamer and parents
« on: May 11, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
I am a SAHM w/ 2 kids, DDalmost 4, and DS 1 1/2.  My neighbour asked me if I would be willing to watch their DD when she returned to work and I agreed.  But now I am having so many problems.
She is 12 months old and I have had her now for over a month.  I have her p/t one wk from 5:45am til 3 and then another week from 2pm to 11pm.
Now that I have their DD it is getting very hard.  She spends over 50% of her time here screaming at the top of her lungs.  Screaming because she doesn't want to sleep, screaming because she's tired, screaming because she wants me to move her somewhere and she doesn't want to crawl, etc...
The parents do not put her to bed until 11-11:30pm.  They do not make her nap in her crib.  Instead they take her for walks in her stroller and walk her around while she sleeps.  She does not go to sleep on her own at home, she is still nursed to sleep.
I am trying everything but I do not know what to do.  I had told the DCM that if they wanted me to watch her they would have to get her on a routine and an earlier bedtime, but they have done niether.
Help!!!  I had been really excited about doing this home daycare thing.  What can I say to the mom.  She is really very nice.  Are all children like this?  I guess I take my easygoing children for granted sometimes.

Offline Jenshouse

• Infant
Re: Need immediate advice about screamer and parents
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:11:57 PM »
Wow. I feel for you on this one! I had a screamer a few months ago and I would have terminated except they moved away first. He was the same way. Used to being rocked to sleep or sleeping while in the stroller or car. He would scream if I even looked away from him! It was affecting everyone and wasn't fair to him either. In your case, I would tell the mother if she doesn't get on board and try to help her DD to transition to care then she needs to make other arrangements for her. It's not fair to anyone including the child for everything to be turned upside down when she's at your house.

Offline totolonto

• Infant
Re: Need immediate advice about screamer and parents
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 01:37:49 PM »
It mast have been tough for all of you! I think that you need to talk with parents about the problem and have all of you on the same page. The other solution is to tell them to find somebody else or to try to develop schedule for the child when she/he is in your care. It will take some time, but it is worth to try.Good luck!   

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources