Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Too many kids in a Calgary Private Day Home  (Read 11260 times)

Offline calgarydayhomemom

• Infant
Too many kids in a Calgary Private Day Home
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:35:33 AM »
Hello.  A lot of private day homes in Calgary have too many kids in their care at one given time.  Is there a place to report this? 

Offline aj

• Infant
Re: Too many kids in a Calgary Private Day Home
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
I don't think so.  This is why I don't trust dayhome operators....parents need to do spot inspections and drop by unannounced.  Sorry to all trustworthy dayhome operators (and I'm sure they are the majority) but a few bad apples spoil the lot IMO.

Offline Rose

• Infant
  • Need to get hands on? Sing: "Let's get physical!"
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »
Their should be a place to complain.  If you contact a daycare centre or licensed home they will have a contact number for you.  All complaints are confidential.  Your name will NOT be revealed.  In my 7 years I have had two complaints listed against my daycare and the complainers name was never revealed.

Sorry, I live in Saskatchewan so I don't have a number for you.  Also, if you complain about a daycare that does not mean they come in and close it down.  Instead, they will send in a complaint team to talk to the provider and work out a solution that harms the least number of parents while complying with the Child Care Regulations.  Ex:  I was helping a parent by taking a part-time school ager 2 days a month and got caught.  I was over my numbers by one child and I had to send them a report detailing who I was letting go and the ages of my remaining children.

Offline Jets

• Infant

Offline proudtofoster

• Infant
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 05:52:53 PM »
AJ, I think it is really the opposite most home daycare providers follow the rules. Myself I am normally way under my numbers .I enjoy kids but to many at one time would drive me crazy lol.  I like  being small and home like and still have my sanity the end of the day !  ;D

Offline Albertachick

• Infant
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
In Alberta a Private dayhome can have 6 kids PLUS the Providers own children and there is no age restriction.

So if the Provider has 6 dayhome kids and 3 kids of her own than they are still within their numbers.

If the Provider has MORE than 6 dayhome children than they are out of ratio.

You cannot call daycare licensing on them because daycare licensing has nothing to do with Private dayhomes, you can however call Social Services.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources