Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: baby bottles poisoning our babies  (Read 3550 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
baby bottles poisoning our babies
« on: April 01, 2008, 10:12:08 PM »
Uh Oh, Is This Bottle Safe?
Oh %$#@&, Iím poisoning my child! Recent news reports are indeed alarming and have caused pandemonium in the minds of some parents. The possibility that the baby bottles and sippy cups we carefully selected may contain harmful chemicals is indeed alarming. But, like everything, we have to educate ourselves and make the best decision we can with the information we have at the time.

As a parent, we devote our lives to ensuring that our children are happy, safe and healthy. Even before they are born we read books on pre-natal development, modify our diets, take vitamins and supplements, the list goes on. There is nothing more unsettling than to learn that a decision we have made as parents, may be harmful to our children.

Whatís the fuss about? A recent study indicated that bisphenol A (BPA), a suspected hormone altering and cancer causing chemical, leaches from many baby bottles and sippy cups found in Canadian stores. Furthermore, the study showed that the levels of BPA actually increased when the bottles were heated, a common practice for many parents.

So hereís the question. Why are these products still being sold? For many the jury has already delivered their verdict on plastic bottles but further studies are underway. It is expected that the Canadian Government will deliver a position paper on this issue in May 2008, and the Ontario Government has also recognized the need for more attention to this matter by setting aside $41 million in the 2008 budget to deal with toxics.

There are a number of helpful websites out there to help you learn more about BPA. www.toxicnation.ca and www.safemama.com offer lists of safe bottles and sippy cups and all sorts of information to read through.

In the meantime, glass baby bottles are back in style. Some may worry about the breakability of glass, but manufacturers are responding to consumer demand and making bottles that have protective silicone covers and sleeves such as the wee go bottle by Babylife.

BPA Free plastic bottles are also available. Relatively new to the market and manufactured without the use of BPA and phalates, these bottles offer parents the convenience and durability of plastic. Try www.greentogrow.com and www.newbornfree.com for a couple of options.

Stainless and aluminum sippy cups are also available. A bit of a change as they feel cooler to the touch, but a much safer alternative. Try www.thesafesippy.com or www.kleankanteen.com.

In the meantime, as a parent you can also help to minimize your childís exposure to BPA and other harmful chemicals by:
    - Hand washing all cups and bottles with a soft cloth in warm soapy water
    - Examine regularly for scratches and dispose of damaged bottles appropriately
    - Do not use the microwave to heat bottles. Not only does it create ďhot spotsí in the liquid and a potential burn risk to your child, but it breaks down the plastic much faster
    - Use only microwave safe glass or ceramic containers in the microwave. Avoid the use of plastic wrap and use waxed paper instead
    - Refrain from using single use containers more than once. They are not designed for long term use and break down much more easily

Iím not a doctor, scientist or any sort of expert, just a parent who, like you, wants to do everything I can to make sure my child is as healthy and happy as can be. Educate yourself, make your own decision and in the meantime, give your child or children a big hug and kiss - no ill effects ever - guaranteed!

Corey Kimpson is a Cambridge resident and Mom to a 2 Ĺ year old. In addition to trying to raise her daughter toxin-free, Corey is co-founder of Offspring Baby Ė a store for small people in downtown Preston, or at www.offspringbaby.com.

http://www.mommyagogo.ca/index.cfm?pagepath=BABY_TALK/Uh_Oh,_Is_This_Bottle_Safe_&id=5778

Offline Icare

• Toddler
Re: baby bottles poisoning our babies
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 04:25:40 PM »
Thanks SPUD for your usual great LINKS!!!...(got em in my favorites now!)

I was wondering where to find some new products to replace my existing sippy cups...
I like the stainless steel ones and they will aid in keeping the beverage cooler TOO!
Plus traditionally stainless is best for cleanliness, and has always been promoted as such!
 ;)

Also. although OFF topic of BPA some but are a terrific BIB to purchase wholesale is the  'Snoozy brand bibs.  Could you post the LINK if you see it online; as I did have it in my favorites but just got a new 'puter to fave's are not all here now! I think others would LUV them!
AS they last forever and never look gross and stained and never fade out...! I just need more.
When I purchased them 5 yrs ago online here they were far cheaper than at the REAL CANADIAN SUPER STORE, where I have ONLY place I have ever seen them. 
I shop at SAFEWAY here in SASK, as the food is best; so do not know if Super Store,
 still has them!! 
Anyone know? :)

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 03:19:41 AM »
Here is a quite good link with info on all kinds of products for babies. I spent a while reading it.

http://thesoftlanding.wordpress.com/

And another site setup to discuss baby bottles specifically

http://babybottle.org/

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:41:17 AM by gdcAdmin »

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 04:33:44 PM »
Health Canada announced that it's taking action against controversial chemical bisphenol A, saying that it may move to ban baby bottles that contain the chemical.

At a press conference in Ottawa on Friday, Health Minister Tony Clement said that the levels of bisphenol A (BPA) that most Canadian adults are exposed to is not harmful.

http://www.ctvbc.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080418/bisphenol_announcement_080418/20080418/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 10:38:45 PM »
For those of you who wish to learn more about non-toxic products, here is a nice blog link

http://thesoftlanding.wordpress.com/

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources