Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Buying a Daycare in Vancouver  (Read 7016 times)

Offline misterchew

• Infant
Buying a Daycare in Vancouver
« on: March 10, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
I am prospecting a few existing day care businesses and would like to know the thoughts and experiences of those who own day cares in Vancouver and rest of Canada. I'll be honest, I don't know much about this industry, except that it's growing, and is a high demand sector for years to come, particularly in my city. I have many questions to ask, and if some of these can be answered, that would be very much appreciate it. So, here goes:

If I do wish to take part in this venture, I will be solely an absentee owner. Is that possible in this industry?

What is the difference between a preschool and a day care? Besides the difference in operation, does one's service cost more than the other?

In Vancouver, there is a restriction on class sizes of 20 pre-school children, how can I increase capacity to meet future demand? (I suppose this is a question for those who run day cares in Vancouver)

What are the goods and bads of being a child care operator?

What is your personal outlook of the current and future of this industry? Do you foresee a demand in growth or decline in enrollment?

Thank you!

Offline Rose

• Infant
  • Need to get hands on? Sing: "Let's get physical!"
Re: Buying a Daycare in Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:15:09 PM »
If I do wish to take part in this venture, I will be solely an absentee owner. Is that possible in this industry?
What is the difference between a preschool and a day care? Besides the difference in operation, does one's service cost more than the other?
In Vancouver, there is a restriction on class sizes of 20 pre-school children, how can I increase capacity to meet future demand? (I suppose this is a question for those who run day cares in Vancouver)
What are the goods and bads of being a child care operator?
What is your personal outlook of the current and future of this industry? Do you foresee a demand in growth or decline in enrollment?
Thank you!
This is from the perspective of someone in Saskatchewan.

Absentee owner?  Sure!  You may need to keep an eye on things the first year, but the director is the one that runs the center.  They would be giving you reports and you would give them direction.

Many daycares also double as preschools, since the staff are already there, as are most of the kids.

Preschools typically run morning or afternoon.  They also run Tuesday and Thursday, or Mon/Wed/Fri which gives parents a choice based on what their child needs.  So in total, you could have 4 preschool programs running.

Currently, there are many daycare centres being built in schools.  That is definitely the way to go, as you can access the school facilities (gym, playground, library) and you can also run a before and after school program.  Parents and children prefer it, as it gets them used to a school atmosphere.

In order to see demand, you need to track birth rates.  There was a HUGE jump in birth rates when the one year maternity leave was introduced, which seems to have leveled off.  Provincial birth rates are available online.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources