Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: The Search for Local Food  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Rose

• Infant
  • Need to get hands on? Sing: "Let's get physical!"
The Search for Local Food
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
I have been searching for local food since I moved to Saskatchewan from Yellowknife.  You would think living in the equivalent of a big wheat field, it would be fairly easy, but NO! *shocked*

First, I started with local farmers.  Eggs, milk, cream, organic potatoes and carrots, it was all there, as long as I was willing to drive for about an hour for each item.  Great in summer, not so great in winter.

Next I tried the farmers market.  I could easily drop $100 on great food every visit but this is when I discovered my first daycare stumbling block:  NO RECEIPTS.  As a daycare, I can write off food, but only if I can get a receipt.

Then I discovered an EcoFarm in my area.  First at the Craik Solar Fair a few years ago, then at a Seedy Saturday seed exchange last month.  I brought my husband to a meeting the farmer was giving to prospective clients.  Here is his website http://saskecofarm.wordpress.com/about/ but you can google EcoFarm for farmers in your area.  Finally!  Good food, receipts, and all the food is delivered to a spot 30 minutes away.

I mailed off my contract and post-dated cheques yesterday and am excited to see what I get.

Wish me luck!

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources