Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Child Care Provider Issues  (Read 4965 times)

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
Child Care Provider Issues
« on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:22 PM »
Here is an interesting article you guys might want to read, Jen speecifically, because it discusses child care in BC.

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/20080402125341/myblog/myblog/child-care-provider-issues.html

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
Re: Child Care Provider Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »
Yes, here in BC we are making it loud and clear that there is a serious shortage of ECE's and the pay is terrible!  They are promoting a $20 an hour starting wage and the School District is saying $25 an hour.  They have done the research, looked at the qualifications, what the job entails, compared to similar professions and that is the wage they have come up with.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 03:05:01 PM »
I think there is a shortage of ECE's everywhere.  The pay and working conditions tend to make individuals in the field find another type of work.  $20-25 an hour is an amazing rate.  I've seen rates ranging from $10-20 (depending on who you work for) University labschools tend to pay more  because they are also unionized.  Private centres tend to pay on the lower end.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 01:50:15 PM »
Yup, Yup, Jen and Laura both spoke up well there re wages..cant find too much more to add~ except hi everyone, been reeeeeal busy around here, but all is going great. I would love to see better rates in all areas of Canada for daycare providers and Would love to see parents get partially subisidized daycare from the government to help pay for these wages..and quality programming.

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 12:53:51 AM »
I opened my daycare in 1996 and approx. 9.00 /hr way bk then...
Today in 2008 I earn the wage of $20 -25/hr. but this was only achieved by believing in myself and the quality childcare services I offer. Being delicately assertive and requesting fee increases to each family...initial after the first 12 months of continued consistant quality longterm childcare... and then offering families a FEE FREEZE for every 18 month after that.

Slow but surely I am earning the $40,000 annually that my 220 hrs. months deserve, and this is in SASK. where most home daycare seem to not see themselves as deserving more...some still only change $25.00 a day ( which may I add, for ALL to READ... ONLY brings the collective wage of ALL caregiver's DOWN!! )
& this is the fee to families NOT eligible for subsidies!! That's a mere $2.50/hr. based on a typical 9.5-10 hrs day attendance at the daycare...MINUS dbl. the cpp payments regular employees experience just because we operate a business, plus included out of the $2.50 hr. there is a multitude of operating expenses, insurance costs and taxes on top of all that!!  I think we might all cringe at what $2.50/hr actually nets the daycare operator per hour...perhaps $1.50/hr AFTER ALL expenses
(I chose $1.50/hr to be fair...deducting only $1.00/hr from the $2.50/hr. fee for expenses; hypothetically speaking!!) & multiply this by 5 families; would be a total of $7.50/hr. which is well under the average Canadian MINIMUM wage, for basic employment opportunities with far less responsibility & liability! 

Obviously, anyone still charging $25.00/DAY is UNEQUIVICALLY not doing her monthly accounting books and has not actually figured out WHAT IT REALLY COSTS TO OPERATE A DAYHOME!  Let's all get with the times and be the entrepreneur we ALL want to be!!....

Do your monthly books and figure out the bottom line!! After all it's YOUR business!!

This is in S'toon, SASK., were the cost of living has increased immensely...if you can afford 300,000 for a home you can afford to pay your daycare 4.00/hr.+ instead. Multiply 4.00 by 5 children in attendance (NOT incl. the school aged kids) and this is a base line wage of 20.00 hr. and there's a little more room for improvement still to reach 25.00/hr, but this is sometimes achieved if families submit a standardized fee rate per day, as apposed to hourly...resulting a sgl. positions hourly rate to go up PROVIDED a shorter day is attended & the standardized fees across the board, regardless of number of hours attended...7.5 vs 9.5 for example, still a full day in my view as one usually begins EARLY while the other ENDS later, and the caregiver/daycare operator should be compensated for these LONG days providing care services!! I simply believe that after 12 yrs. of dedicated service, that I deserve more than a frozen in time wage, when minimum wage for jobs infinity less duties or responsibility, would receive more than I did;
if I did not make an effort to educate my attending families, about the many aspects of operating a daycare business and the inherent liabilities we face as caregiver's each and every day of dedicated service in the daycare sector.

Lastly subsidies do have there place, and these families should be accountable and should validate they deserve the assistance!  I do think there are instances where it is necessary, as we are not all blessed to be able to afford quality private daycare services! This is were we should lobby our Canadian Gov't to step up to the plate & assist the families who need it most!
Thanks for reading! :)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 10:27:01 PM by RobynsNest »

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 11:10:11 AM »
Very good post!

Here in BC we do have subsidy but the government does not promote it so many families are not aware of it.  Others who know about it are scared to apply for it because they think it is welfare (which it is not).

These are the BC maximum levels for Family Childcare.

$600 per month under 36 months
$550 per month 36 months until entering Gr. 1
$200 per month after school

Group centres maximum levels are:

$700 per month under 36 months
$550 per month 36 months until entering Gr. 1
$200 per month after school

We are a family that qualifies for partial subsidy (around $400 towards our under 36 month old's childcare)  I posted somewhere on here how they calculate this.

Back to the business operations - as it is tax time yes, we pay double the CPP and most people do not know that.  One thing that really gets me is the amount of time and cost that operators put in for quality programs and in the end we will have very little in terms of CPP.

The cost of my business operations when I had a family childcare was 60 to 70 % of fees going strictly to direct operating costs (field trips, food, art supplies, toys, equipment, books, insurance, office supplies, etc.) not even taking into account the additional household costs that you wouldn't have if you were working elsewhere which were around 12%.  Back then the cost per hour was $10 of total parent fees LESS the expenses.  I was making only $1.40 an hour.  I got out!  I have operated my preschool for 10 years and I make the same amount of money but I work about a third of the time.  That was my trade-off, I figured I couldn't do anything about the poor wage but could do something about the long hours. 

So the $25 an hour wage they are talking about in BC is for centre-care.  That would be your actual wage, not a private owner/operator wage.  Centre careigvers do not have to buy supplies, pay operating costs, etc. but private owners/operators do so that $25 an hour is half or less.  It still doesn't put them in a position of making a livable wage.  That is something alot of people don't get - the REAL cost of care.  I used to actually post a 'what your fees pay for' sheet after tax time for parents to see - they didn't want to know, they complained no matter what. Even parents who receive subsidy complained about paying $46 a month in parent fees!  I moved out of that area of town (lower-income, higher immigrant / ESL area with a 56% rate of children with needs )  and where I live now it is much better.  Parents are more 'educated' about the needs of children, costs, etc.  They are happy to get a space in a good centre.  Also, there is a difference in how people see paying their preschool fees to childcare fees.  They see childcare fees as a burden whereas they see preschool fees as a choice, like swimming lessons, sports, etc.       

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »
What you had said, Jen, further emphazises the point I had made somewhere else on the forum. That is, early care is viewed as a burden on the parents' finances. You have to understand that families' finances are already strained to the point that an extra $500-$600 is hard to find as it is, in many cases, half of the person's monthly salary. It's not your problem, per see, but it's definately your bottleneck when it comes to raising or even maintaining the rates.

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 10:57:44 PM »
Yes,
I totally agree with all the posts following mine, on this topic!

I have researched a bit in S'toon and small percentage are now changing 40.00/day per child, which is probably appropriate for duel income families, who again do NOTqualify for the subsidy rate!

My plan is too continue to change $34.00 for F/t families and 38.00 for P/t and $40.00 for CASUAL attendance ( 1-2 days week) this will begin in OCTOBER 2008.

I currently change $30.00 for f/t   &   $34.00 for the p/t (P/t = 3-4 day week.) and $34.00 for CASUAL
( Casual = 1-2 days per week).
I have one CASUAL two-child family who submits $34.00 X 2 children or $68.00 which has been a real boost.  Their increase in the fall will move to 78.00 which is fair as CASUAL for one will then be 40.00 so rather than charge them 80.00/day... I just plan on add an even $10.00/day to their currently daily fee amount...Which we should note is still less than the minimum wage in SASK. of approx 9.00/hr.
(I also do believe the min. wage may even be a bit more than $9.00, as there has been 3...
Yes 3 increases to the basic minimum wage amount in the past 2 years, in SASK.!!! But nothing for daycare workers who work from home UNLESS they are not afraind to stand up for themselves and request an fair increase based on coroborating information included in the increase proposals.

I SHOULD ALSO INDICATE ROBYN'S NEST HAS NEVER LOST A CLIENT DUE TO A REQUEST FOR A INCREASE...NEVER!! 

As time progress on...I will eventually charge $40.00 for the f/t ( some of the large commercial centers change 65.00/day) and as you clearly see;... I increase the fee for families attending LESS than f/t...

This has been the only way, for my daycare to off set the loss of income when catering & assisting the many families' who require Part-time daycare spaces... Most dayhomes in SASK are strictly F/t will not even look at p/t as viable clients!

I decided to be brazen or brave and try to diversify my fee tears to better suit my desire to assit P/t families who need quality long term consistant childcare arrangements!

Rather than reducing my wage for half days and p/t attendance I have i increased the fee SLIGHTLY, and have had no problem...I just explain that the nominal fee increase for p/t off sets the fact the family only attends p/t. I also explain I have strict limits to the number of f/t positions I can have.  Therefore I would be better able to supply them with the services for p/t attendance if the fee were more induce to the fact that I only have 5 preschool position available andhave to maintain a certain level of revenue in order to remain open!

As I said, after I explain and educate the family seeking consistant & longtime Part-time attendance they are more than thrilled with my philosophy and know they have found the home to attend...and WILL NOT be out having to search again when some homes will give notice AS SOON AS A F/T POSITION COME AVAIL...of course they don't actually tell you that...they think of another reason.

I also think the other dayhomes who have not considered MY way, which may at first perceive this as like a risky strategy to go with... BUT for me, it's really paid off.

I know my system and policies seem a little different, and I offer INSURANCE to which has also prove to be a drawing card, here in SASK.

I also recall reading in the local newspaper that in DUNDURN,SASK; on the Army military base... where the army operates a daycare for the families who live on base...
A few years back now, FOLLOWING my changes my p/t /CASUAL fee policies to the above fee tearing policy...I recall reading the military daycare ALSO has the on base families who access the daycare facility to now submit an minimum amount of fees per month, REGARDLESS IF THEY ENDED UP ATTENDING  OR NOT...in order to maintain this military bases' OPEN status daycare!

When I read this article, it only re enforced to me again, that indeed my strategy was NOT so way off base...( no pun intended! )

Thanks again for reading!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 03:07:39 AM by RobynsNest »

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 11:38:47 PM »
Awesome post. You do seem to have some business background behind you. Have you been involved in running any other business? Here is what's important in any industry

"after I explain and educate the family seeking consistant & longtime Part-time attendance "

Educating your clientele about your service is one of the most important and fundamental principles of operating a successful business. Alot of business owners (and especially startups) ignore the basics and soon find themselves fighting an up-hill battle. Nothing happens overnight, but if you don't set yourself apart from the competition you will have tough time establishing yourself.

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 04:06:42 AM »
Thank-you gdcAdmin,
...for recognizing the distinction component of my daycare business.
I have strived to be just a little bit different right from the 'get go'...I started out in 1996 with a simple phone "spiel" ( for lack of a better phrase tonight...) where I would stress what the general limited enrolment guidelines of low number enrolment for home daycares. My daycare MOTTO when I was preschool aged/infants ONLY ~"Robyn's Nest...Where Five or Less is Best!~"...written on the bottom of
my original business card in '96..lol.

At the time in 1996, few parents even knew what the guidelines were...let alone that there were any home daycare guidelines at all !! 

The rest seemed to evolve, with my passion for childcare which I think perhaps was destined to be ingrained in me through...yes prior business background...  I rarely have mix these two topics and have seldom mentioned that I operated a boarding kennel of all animals from 1969 to the mid 1980's when I moved out on my own.  I managed a small Humane Society in RedDeer, Alta., which was once of my first major jobs after leaving home.

Of course both of these businesses had policies and procedures...
Once more...
My daycare became one of the first home daycares to take the time & effort to implement such a Policy and Procedures manual, which today is quite lengthy as each daycare position may have many aspects that require specific conduct.  My daycare policy & procedures manual is "designed to enhance any families daycare experience"; once they are attending Robyn's Nest Childcare Home! My policies offers many unique 'Security features" which other daycares do NOT offer, again setting me apart from the rest...these designed features provide position security, in a sector where security for both families and caregiver's seemed unattainable!!  My manual also, clearly outlines that I, TOO as daycare operator must adhere to the contained policies and ensures all clientele who attend that my policies are equally applied and all families receive the SAME treatment with no fee variances in fee tears or variance in programing & amenities provided. 

Lastly, my policy and procedures manual was designed by me, for my attending families and children FIRST and secondly for me, the daycare operator. My manual is not plagiarized or taken from any book or site that offers their 'two cents' about 'how to run a daycare'. 

Perhaps someday, I will decide to divulge all my designed, Robyn's Nest Childcare Homes' Daycare policy & procedures manual 'secrets' for all to read in a 'HOW TO' book, then...
all who read it may do what they so chose to do with it!

Just recently I made a terrific NEW security feature policy; designed specifically to ensure NOTICE to the daycare operator is SUPPLIED by the family, regardless of whether they plan to continue attendance or otherwise.

This NEW policy implementation, simply fell into my lap, after a lady who I had booked for a NEW summer position commencing this JULY, who was on the recieving end of a deplorable public falling out with her preceeding daycare she WAS attending UNTIL my daycare space came available as booked, for JULY.

It was a very UNAPPROPRIATE & very ignorant business approach of the OTHER dayhome to publicly post her dirty laundry ( for lack of a better phrase, again) on another public forum with regards to the lady with which I STILL will be providing childcare services for THIS July 2008.

My booked family had already submitted her substantial HOLD to START deposit, a month or more prior to this happening... and I was not about the return the deposit &/or forfeit it based on what the OTHER DAYCARE had posted.  Rather, I dealt with the whole ordeal level headed and mature and requested an EXPLAINATION regarding the whole online 'fiasco'!

Regardless of WHO was telling the Truth,as I really will never know...will I?

Therefore, under these circumstances I made a POLICY AMMENDMENT right in mid-stream of our business arrangements... where as I recently implemented my NEW daycare policy that now ensures and secures the FINAL NOTICE for BOTH the FAMILY & the DAYCARE ...( as in addition to other aspects... it will ensures the daycare provider will NOT just UP & quit & will con't to follow through with the necessary childcare services for the 'notice' term, as most families' require some time to secure other care; while continuing to have their prepaid access to their present childcare arrangements while also continuing their employment, during the 'notice' term, as well!)

I had been racking my brain for months... trying to come up with a policy that best was suited to this usually 'sticky topic', but NOW have implemented a NEW smoother policy to deal with this!!! Like I said...this policy just fell into my lap.. All because of another's (daycare) unethical business practises, who posted needless defamatory statements on another public forum other than this.

Let's all learn ...that by posting defamatory statements with regards to past clients &/or even a daycare COULD POSSIBLY  lay the grounds to be sued; by the other party, who experienced any negative repercussions &/or loss of employment &/or business opportunities, as a result of POOR JUDGEMENT AND ACCESS TO A COMPUTER..while still in a volatile state regarding an irreconcilable difference!

Hope I am not getting too long winded...
Thanks for reading again though all....
Night! :-X :)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:30:44 AM by RobynsNest »

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 04:39:08 PM »
I had heard that Saskatchewan was one of the 'lagging behind' provinces for childcare issues and it looks like you have had to really struggle.  BC was rated one of the highest a few years ago but then Mr. Campbell came along and now we are near the bottom.  The rules and reg's have been 'formally' in place since 1969 (I think) and we just had our newest reg's passed last November.  Things like policies and procedures are an integral part of getting your licence.  It has to be based on the reg's (which are minimum) then you add your own.  It is then approved by licencing.  Just like you said, each centre is an individual case and their policies will reflect that.  It is important for parents to realize that and to look for the best fit for their family.  Doesn't it make you shake your head when parents think 'their' way is the only way and think parents should do what THEY want!  I say if they want to lay down the rules then they need to hire a nanny (who is then their employee and they can set the guidleines) BUT then they will be required to pay about 3 times what they pay every day for childcare. 

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 05:24:10 PM »
Yes,
Somewhat of a struggle to achieve the wage that's is necessary and have worked at deserving the appreciation and value that ALL caregiver's so deserve.

My families know by the type of policies I have developed, are designed for their & their child's security first and finally as the daycare operators security.

When applied, these policies offer both parties' a fair offer of care arrangements with real results ...& this can only begin & end with good family & caregiver rapport! :)

I truly love my career in childcare and I will continue to evolve & educate the public to the best of my abilities in this sector; working through the many obstacles & traditionally low moral which is accompanied by caregiver's low wages and most of all the lack of general understanding & appreciation on the public's side; of all the various aspects of operating a quality childcare home.

Thanks all for reading!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 05:27:09 PM by RobynsNest »

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources