Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Daycare Waiting lists vs. empty spots  (Read 3395 times)

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
Daycare Waiting lists vs. empty spots
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:33:26 PM »
I've been reading some comments on here and one question comes to mind. Why is it that some daycare centres have huge 2 year waiting lists (and I'm afraid 2 years absolete) yet other centres go out of business because they can't fill spaces? Is advertising and exposure determining issue in the daycare industry, or are there some other factors?

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
Re: Daycare Waiting lists vs. empty spots
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 10:28:03 AM »
I know that where I live, (and remember, every province is different- -that's a huge issue itself.  Canada can't get a program that is consistent across the country) the 'good quality' centres have wait lists that are 1 to 2 years long and the 'poor quality' centres can't fill spaces.  It makes sense - why would anyone send their child to a poor quality centre. Another thing here in BC, there isn't enough ECE's so the centre may have space but no one to work for them.  Also, the areas where people make more money are full but the poorer areas may be having difficulty.

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:22:22 PM »
hmmmm.....well, that makes perfect sense. It also seems to make perfect sense to run "good quality" centres, doesn't it?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:38:57 AM »
It takes time to build reputation, and only those in for it for the long haul have the time to build that good quality reputation. Those doing temporary care (while they are out of work or on mat leave or unsure of their own future-and and are unqualified daycares) do not have the connections from previous families to spread the word about their services. Most of my clientell are my own families having more babies or referrals from them - they are long term families and hold up the few spaces I have. Most families have been with me more than a couple years. I usually have a part time spot or school age spot open here and there as children do grow up ! Those spaces sometimes take longer to fill, as I want it to be the right match..I am picky about who comes, because I want them to be long term families, and I dont want problem families who bicker about fees or things...They need to show respect for me and my business..it is a business and I take my service seriously..I guess its my dedication to my program and my years of experiece along with my qualifications that makes it a quality daycare to be in.

Then there are parents who want the cheapest daycare around who will give them all the days off they want...those people do not value quality daycares often ruin the newest daycares out there who dont know how to stand up for themselves..with policies etc...and the difficult parents ruin it for those people who after all the harrassments  find it not worth their while to carry on.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:46:03 AM by spud »

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources