Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Daycare nearly let daughter die, mother says  (Read 5936 times)

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
Daycare nearly let daughter die, mother says
« on: April 09, 2008, 06:12:11 PM »
This article is rather old, but I felt it was worth it to draw your attention to it.

Owner refused to dial 911 as child suffered near-fatal reaction to peanut butter sandwich

When Sylvia Miggiani walked into the Brampton daycare centre around noon on Jan. 20, 2004, she could hardly recognize her own daughter.

"Her eyes were puffy, her lips were swollen, her face, her neck were covered in hives and she was having trouble breathing," Miggiani said, recalling her 23-month-old daughter's near-fatal allergic reaction to a peanut butter sandwich she was given for lunch at the Rise-N-Grades Montessori School and Daycare.

"If it wasn't for what she was wearing and her hair, I wouldn't have known it was her."

Miggiani said she and her husband Neil have accepted that the life-threatening incident was an accident. The couple did not know beforehand that Erika, who could not yet talk, was allergic to peanuts.

What she can't accept is that daycare operator Karen Waghorn did not call 911 at the first obvious sign of distress.

http://www.thestar.com/article/218356

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
Re: Daycare nearly let daughter die, mother says
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:32:08 PM »
I know what it is like to have a child with this allergy.  My oldest daughter swelled up like a basketball at 10 months of age and she was covered with blotches.  It looked like she had been beaten with a baseball bat!  We took photos and video so our family and friends could see what it looked like and her own uncle didn't even recognize her!  Oh, and I called the hospital right away and my husband took her to emergency as I knew what was happening.  She had to have an epipen and to this day (12 years later) we have to watch everything.  Our youngest has the same allergy but I knew what was happening with her first reaction and got her to emergency well in advance.  I would assume that the daycare called the parent and the mother came right away and took her daughter to emergency.  They may not have known what was happening, it can happen so fast. The parent may be held responsible legally for the comment (or the newspaper) if the daycare followed procedures.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:34:39 PM by jharrisece »

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 02:05:29 PM »
Apparently, the daycare owner did not want to call 911, even after the request of both the parents and staff.  As the article stated, she did not want to fill out an incident report. (Could this be because she was not following protocols? Nutfree environment?) And on top of that taking all the phones into her office, so others could not call 911.  That's horrible, i would definitely not put my child in her care.

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 04:39:35 PM »
That wouldchange the whole situation!  Licencing should shut her down then.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 11:28:57 AM »
yeah, that is neglect

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 12:47:56 AM »
My reaction to this was shocking to say the least...
If there is any type of PROBLEM whether health related or even behaviour related I CALL the parents and if it were an allergic reaction DEFINITLY common sense...

I did have a bizarre reaction for ONE parent a few years ago...

The child was about 3 turning 4 very soon...she became very unruly one day and after using the washroom started to enter the infant sleeping nursery.  I really did not know what to do, as she continued to try diligently to get into the infant room and awaken the two in the room...
I did not want to hurt her by pulling her arm so I decided to pick her up around her torsue to carry her to the child-friendly daycare room.  She began kicking and screaming and I was getting a bad feeling ( this was the 3rd day at the daycare & her MOM had threathened the daughter at the door, at drop off time with this quote: " If you are not good...you'll get a spanking later."  I was shocked then and was already thinking I will be giving my notice I suspected very soon.  Just did not expect it the third day into care!!!

My policy is to not provide childcare services for anyone who spanks &/or exhibits any type of physical punishments to their attending children.  My policies clearly indicates I reserve the right to 'move on', so to speak & 'no longer provide services' to any family suspected of abuse.

Anyway, the child continued to kick and scream and became totally uncontrollable, I told her I will call your MOM if can't calm down...She got even worse and was scared to allow me to call the MOM....So what do I do?... I thought...CALL THE PARENTS anyways!!!
( THIS obviously is NOT a 911 SITUATION!)

I did call the MOM as she was attending school (a local tech college) as most post secondary schools allow parents to leave in cases of emergencies, as far as I understand! 

Anyways, this parent 'blew her top', when she got to my home to pick up her daughter....
She said, "I had NO BUSINESS BOTHERING HER AT SCHOOL"....!!!!!!

Have you ever heard of such a ridiculous statement?  Most parents would say something if I DID NOT CALL...not the reverse.  In fact they might say(if I chose NOT to call)..."Why on earth did you NOT call me at school/work or wherever???"

I knew darn well... she would have said this if I had not contacted her at school
(She had a cell too!)

I would far rather CALL and so called... 'bother' a busy parent at their place of work than NOT call and get reamed out for NOT calling!!!

I explained to the MOM upon her arrival to my dayhome, that I called due to her daughters uncontrollable outburst and for kicking me repeatedly while I carried her to the daycare.
Even though the little girl said ..."my MOM will spank me, if you call her."...I said to myself (
 (not to the child) that this is not going to stop me!...I will confront the MOM as to what her child uttered ( so she is aware I know about her ways) and indicate I will no longer care for her under the circumstances...

I did call Social Services after, but they did not seem overly concerned which I found very ironic!!

I STILL WILL ALWAYS, ALWAYS continue to CALL the parents WHEN ANYTHING ADVERSE HAPPENS EVEN IF JUST A BLEEDING NOSE OR LIP, etc....JUST IN CASE...

At least TO MAKE THEM AWARE...THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY HAVE TO PICK-UP THE CHILD IN THOSE INSTANCES but...they ARE GIVEN THE CHOICE... THIS WAY!!!

I TRYED TO EXPLAIN THAT IF I DID NOT CALL SHE WOULD HAVE SIMPLY ASKED ME,
"why did you NOT call me?".."I would have come to pick her up etc., etc.!!" the mom would have said...

Just one of those situations where YOU are darned if you do and darned if you don't...I guess?

Have any of you other daycare operators/childcare providers in this forum ever experienced a family like this; who is not THANKFUL IN THE LEAST, for your initiative, as childcare provider to take control of any type of adverse situation and confide in the parent immediately
whether a pleasant topic or otherwise??

Or, do you think the caregiver should just turning a blind eye to the problem  &/or wait for the fallout later on, at the end of the day...? Hmmm?

Let me know what you think... :o

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 03:10:48 PM »
Those are the types who will sue you at the slightest incident - that's why keeping a non-reportable incident book and having them sign it helps!  Now you know why she is moving from one place to the next!  The biggest influence in a child's life is the parent (and typicallly the same sex-parent) - there was a study done about that a few years ago and I find it is mainly accurate.  Of course there is always the few percentage that don't fall into the catagory!  It always helps me in choosing families by seeing how the parents are.  Everyone asks me how I got one so different from me (my youngest!) but I say she is the 'boy' in our family as she acts more 'male' (rough and tumble).

I am assuming that this parent was aggressive in her speaking to the child as well as physically?  I am a parent that has swatted my daughter on the butt (not at work) and it is definately not physically harmful to her.  Now, emotionally she may have her feelings hurt although this one is such a handful she just thinks it is funny if I do it!  Doesn't get done often because it doesn't help most of the times.  All positive ways of guiding and discipling don't work with her once she gets her mind up to it to be mean!  For example, she is terrbile to the cat, yanks her by the tail out from under the table, we have lost count how many times we have told her' hands off, be gentle with Gigi' and she just laughs and keeps at the poor cat.  Once she yanked that cat and had her yowling my husband swatted her butt (covered by pull-up and pants) and asked her how it felt to get her bottom hurt like the cat.  As a parent I do think that some consequences need to be the same behaviour back in order for a child to learn that what they are doing is hurting/harmful and if they don't know how it feels then they won't know what we are talking about. Once they have learned that lesson then you shouldn't have to do it anymore.   

We are by no means parents who are disrespectful to our daughter's daycare either.  In fact, we are the family that everyone wants!  I can't believe it when parents won't listen/believe their caregiver when they are telling them about their child's behaviour.  Then on top of that to get mad when they are called?!  I mean, come on, it is for the child's well-being to be told so you can make changes, be aware, etc.  Those are the ones that will have a lifelong struggle.  So unfair to these children because lets face it - kids don't ask to be brought into this world so it is our job to provide them with the best we can, teach them right from wrong, etc. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:20:00 PM by jharrisece »

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 04:14:18 PM »
Yes jharrisece,

That was precisely why I basically Quit that day!...to protect myself & my daycare business in the LOOOONG RUN! :o

thanks,
Tell me/us more about the NON reportable incident bk..as I have never heard of such a thing, please! :)

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 04:29:58 PM »
You must be on right now, as I am!

We are required in BC to keep a non-reportable book  (just a bound notebook - it has to be bound so if a page is ripped out by someone then they will know) where you write down any incident that happens so you have it in case it is brought up at any time, licencing gets a report, have to submit info. for court, etc.  What you do is you write a detailed account of the incident, give the date, time, any environmental details then have any parent who had a child involved in it, read it and sign it.  Once a parent sees that it is documented then they know you mean business!  Even better if you have one 'problem' child/parent and they see that another parent is involved in documenting it.  For example, when a child bites/hits another child then you are required to document, write how you dealt with it, who was involved, etc.  I have documented adult's behaviour too, because parents who act out will likely be the ones you end up dealing with false accusations from!  Another example I have documented, 'wild' accusations made by a child who was always being overly-dramatic.  He was very bright but socially didn't have the skills - typical of gifted children actually.   He hit his funny bone against the wall and tried to accuse me of hitting him even though I wasn't there!  I had a practicum student who witnessed, signed, etc. and we dealt with it, with the parent.  Stopped that kids' overly-dramatic outburst, lies and false accusations right then and there!  Found out he was like that at home too!  He has gone into three schools, in three years now!  He can't fit in!         
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:31:51 PM by jharrisece »

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 04:37:55 PM »
yes I am NAP TIME  my only chance!!  LOL
 Thanks for making the day interesting with your posts!
 They're great!
jharrisece!
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:49:53 PM by RobynsNest »

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 04:42:59 PM »
I think I may start to document this type of occurrence; as it arises...interesting info indeed!!  BC is likely farther ahead than SASK. as most places are! :-[
thanks for the INFO!!!
Better to be safe than sorry!
Robyn ;)

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 04:56:05 PM »
Since 1994 I haven't even filled a book!  It is better to be safe than sorry and if I get a problem parent, I just fill out a licencing report and send it off.  That way there is a 'paper trail' of problems if anything comes up. 

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »
I generally keep a running journal for the children in my care..where I document their daily activities, urine output, food intake, any lil accidents or bumps or interactions with others as well as any planned outings or upcoming events. I also document fees due, supplies needed in this bound book (one for each child) and is to be returned daily in either diaper bag or school back pack..this is done for all children 5and under..others recieve a daily update on a My Day form or a quick verbal update or a weekly my week email.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources