Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: How much do you charge for daycare?  (Read 18463 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
How much do you charge for daycare?
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »
I am wondering (oh imagine that lol) what other daycare providers charge for daycare..under various situations/circumstances...and I am wondering if anyone is increasing their fees this year to keep up with inflation.  Does everyone give receipts?  Do your fees reflect food too or do you charge extra for food? How much is your grocery bill each week?

for example: I charge $38 for a full day(up to 10 hours), includes receipts and food for children under the age of 3. Once children start school I charge $32 and they bring their own food. I will decrease fees to $35 per day per child (no family discounts)if they supply their own prepared meals in a lunch bag. My grocery bill per week is usually around $200 .  Before school or after school only, I charge $12, for both its $20 and a half day is $25 or $30 with my food and transportation to school is required. I charge $2.25 per day that we go on pre planned outings plus any enterence fee as required. I charge $2.25 for early drop off (before 7am)...and finally...I love my daycare business and see myself continuing this for many years to come...

Are there still people out there charging under $30/day? If so, how can you manage to operate - do you not find you are barely scrapin by?
How many people can honestly say they LOVE doing childcare and can still see themselves in the business 10 years from now?
Thanks for participating!!!

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
Re: How much do you charge for daycare?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:48:30 PM »
You are charging typically what i know other providers are charging.  $30-35 per day is typically the norm.  Half days (nursery school age) usually run $25-30 and depends on the number of days per week.

I definitely enjoy working with children and would like to start up my own daycare business, any ideas how to start up, especially with no start off budget? Also do you need insurance coverage for your business?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 04:35:37 PM »
There are definatly start up costs involved..and maintenence costs along the way (ie cleaning carpets , repairs, toys, paper towel lol), so I think its good to assume you will lose money when you first start out..Definatly investigate all the regulations for home daycare - even if you choose not to get licensed..you are bound to the DNA and must adhere to health and safety regulations ...You definatly need insurance on your home and your vehicle if you choose to drive with them. You must keep your home safe or you will be looking at negligence and even insurence doesnt cover that.
To get started, look for other providers in your area who are getting out of the business and who can offer supplies and maybe even clientell...look for quality garage sales to purchase quality toys...be sure they are not recalled!!! check on kijiji for used items for sale...
keep ALL receipts for tax time..cuz every write off is needed!
and hire a tax consultant /accountant who knows the busines of daycare.
check out/talk to other providers about their policies and guidelines and interview processes and determine your policies before you get started...and be prepared to set limitations/boundaries and hours of operation. ie I ask for my fees in advance and charge for sick days and other absenses...I give 2 weeks holidays off per year.. I am only open till 5:30 pm...bla bla..bla
Watch the government and see if they are or anyone else is giving any grants or money for daycare expansions...try to qualify for any start up money. 

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:43:26 PM »
SASK FEES: ( Mine are middle of the row...) ....(Most are lower & Some are higher!)

CURRENT FEE RATES:                                                     INCREASING FEE RATES:
30.00 F/T       (5 DAYS/WK SINGLE  CHILD)                       >moving to $33.00 in October 2008.
34.00 P/T       (3-4 DAYS/WK SINGLE CHILD)                     >moving to $38.00 in October 2008.
34.00 CASUAL (1-2 DAYS/WK SINGLE CHILD )                    >moving to $40.00 in FEBRUARY 2009.   
25.00             (All SINGLE CHILD- Half-days)                     >REMAINING CONSTANT @ $25.00/DAY.

68.00             (1 DAY/WK. CASUAL 2 CHILD FAMILIES)        >moving to $78.00 in October 2008.(7.80/HR)
58.00             (2-4 DAYS/WK PART-TIME 2 CHILD FAMILES) >moving to $60.00 in October 2008.(6.00/HR)
56.00             (5 DAYS/WK FULL-TIME 2 CHILD FAMILIES)    >moving to $58.00 in October 2008.(5.80 HR)
I AM TRULY BLESSED TO EARN WHAT I'M NOW... I PROVIDE PRIVATE CHILDCARE SERVICES TO PROFESSIONAL - DUEL INCOME FAMILIES- I PROPOSE AN INCREASE AFTER 1 YR. AND EVERY 18 MONS. AFTER THAT!
Most S'toon homes are ONLY change $35 -40 $50 for 2 child families, an sometimes 50.00 for 2.
Some even do 2 child for $30.00 and I started at $34.00 for 2 children in 1996...

A standardized or collaborative input for daycare fees &/ or even a rule of thumb basic pricing list to be used for dayhomes, would allow for more caregivers to improve their traditionally low wages!

BUT too many pop-up dayhomes just want to earn anything!...So they try to scoop jobs and take on way too many kids; well over the limits in SASK.;  IN THEIR VIEW (only) they have to to make more cause they ONLY change $20.00/day per child...after all these years...After allthe going rate in 1996 was 20/day & i was one of the first to take the initiative to move to $25.00 in 1998!! 

I still see ads where the woman plainly says... she's got 8 kids and still is advertising for more while changing a fraction of the rest for the established dayhomes brutally under cutting us, who are also looking for work.   

**People/families see that type of low pricing and think WE all should change that LOW...
NO way Jose!!... I say, after 13 yrs. doing daycare ...NO WAY!

Bottom line here is...Some parents JUST want childcare cheap!

YOU can see it for yourself, I passionately think any caregiver deserves more.. Look at what elder care workers earn...far higher than US, and they don't have to do as many things as we do...
(After all min. wage is 9.00/hr. + for a basic job)

My rates will continually move up as they have since day one..just by being a little assertive and asking for a raise...simply educating the parents to the costs of operating the dayhome & that this cost is
only increasing annually; while wages have remained stagnant!!

I HAVE NEVER 'NOT' RECEIVED MY REQUESTED FEE INCREASE..NEVER,EVER AND
NEVER OFFERED A 'NOTICE' TO END SERVICES... WHEN I DID SEND A WELL WRITTEN PROPOSAL HOME!

I can't remember the last time I even heard of a family OFFERING a childcare provider a raise!!

HAS ANYONE ESLE?? 

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »
When I had a family childcare I had a family (who is very well off) actually ask me to raise my rate!  I was 30% less than elsewhere but was doing so much more!

Offline marie-Claude

• Infant
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 10:48:04 PM »
Wow, I am located in Quebec and the standard rate per day here is between $20-$25 a day! :(
that's with a receipt. I personally charge $25 but many parents heap out and opt to go for the cheaper daycares just to save a few $$.

Offline cutekids00

• Infant
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 11:26:44 AM »
I charge $30 per day in Nova Scotia that is with meals and receipts. It ranges from $20 - $35 here.

Offline swisscanmom

• Infant
    • Nature Friends Childcare
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 07:08:28 PM »
I'm in Ontario and charge $30/day, raising this to $32-35/day in January '10.

Offline lisab

• Infant
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 08:56:34 AM »
I'm in Ontario, and charge the same as Swisscanmom...$30.00/day

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »
I now charge $38 part time, $35 each, for 2 children same family full time, $34 if schoolage (age 6plus) full day like a pd day, own food.or 38 my food..$20 before and afterschool, $25 morning program, $12-$15 just before or just afterschool...this includes receipts and daily/weekly outings using a vehicle. I am also full...so reducing fees doesnt necessarily mean you will fill up..I figure my fees reflect on the quality of care received..so I cannot charge any less.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:43:41 AM by spud »

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 07:05:13 PM »
Spud,
You seem to charge around the norm. You said you charge $35 for 2 children of the same family, that is really low, however i am sure that the family really appreciates the break in high fees.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 07:44:34 AM »
Hey Laura,
I dont think I worded that well..$35 each child from same family or $38 one full time child..

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Hi Spud,

Thanks for the clarification on that.  I thought that $35 for 2 kids was bit a low....but $35 each makes sense.

Offline icebabe

• Infant
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 04:03:27 PM »
If my child is full time I charge $35 per day, part time is $20 per day
2 children from 1 family full time $50 2 children from 1 family part time $70
My day care is in London Ontario and I raise my rates every two years.

Offline doodles

• Infant
Daycare rates
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
Hi all I am in BC and just have a question. I run a homebased daycare (unlicensed) and charge  a flat rate per month or bi weekly if it makes it easier. I am having a problem right now with some parents, I was out with the flu for 4 days and they are irrate that they have to still pay their regular fees because of it even though they have signed a form stating that no matter the circumstances the fee remains the same, what do I do? I have watched their daughter for 1 1/2 years already with no prior problems and have never had to be away sick as I would watch her even if I was not feelilng up to par, but I had the flu, vomitting, fever, ect. I had no choice to cancel daycare for the days I was ill being contagious and all. The family has no prearranged back up in a case like this but that should not fall on me. These are the only 4 days I have had to close in all the time I have watched their little girl, but now I think they are looking for new care because of this.  Help any advice would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:23:27 PM by doodles »

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources