Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: "BIG BOX" Daycare in Canada  (Read 18486 times)

Offline littlebear

• Infant
"BIG BOX" Daycare in Canada
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:04:22 PM »
Parents:

PLEASE do your research and be aware of who owns your child's daycare centre!

There are several massive corporations (Edleun, Kids & Co.) buying centres all over Canada with the sole purpose of making MONEY.  Early Childhood Educators and Government Officials who know that these BIG BOX daycares are low quality have been trying to prevent this type of action for years, but due to loopholes in laws, a LOT of people (including SHAREHOLDERS) who do not care about quality childcare are the ones running a LOT of daycares. 

This is what happens when corporations only care about profit:

- you pay higher fees
- the staff is paid lower wages
- corners are cut with your child's care: food portions slashed in 1/2, no new equipment, old and broken equipment, adult:child ratios too high to conserve cost of labour, unhappy staff, etc. etc. etc.
- your child gets the short end of the stick and you are left paying high fees for crappy care and so that the company execs and shareholders can line their pockets. 

As a former employee of one of these companies, I can tell you that they are the WORST thing to happen to child care in Canada EVER.  I wouldn't give these centres one penny and I would NEVER allow these greedy people to control the care of my child.  NEVER.

Please Please Please support locally owned and independently operated centres.  They truly make a difference in the community and in the lives of children. 

Do your research and DO NOT fall for the corporate lies and party lines. 

Offline MissJenBC

• Infant
Re: "BIG BOX" Daycare in Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:22:46 AM »
I disagree with this blanket statement.
There are many low quality, smaller daycares who care mainly about profit.
With a bigger facility, the policies and procedures they have in place are usually of a higher standard, because they have much larger staff numbers.
Licensing are more meticulous with their inspections in a bigger facility, because there are more children involved.
If the manager has good skills, and the staff are experienced and caring ECE's the quality of care for the children still remains high.
It all depends on your expectations going into a job, and whether a happy and secure work environment is as important as the salary.

Offline grifsha

• Infant
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »
I agree with 'littlebear'
My son's daycare was recently bought by Kids & Co. and I've seen the change in the way the center is organized and run right away. First off the teachers don't seem happy and they have expressed their opinions about it. I really don't like the fact that the center is now managed by someone very young and not competent to handle such a big daycare center. Someone who is not a parent and doesn't know anything about kids. that's just my five cents. I'm very unhappy and planning to move him to a different one, perhaps a home care.

Offline jneufeld

• Infant
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »
I disagree with littlebear.  I have my two children with one of the "big box" companies and they are nothing but professional and have created policies that put my mind at ease as a parent.  The curriculum and kitchen facilities top any small centres I've seen in my neighbourhood.  I wouldn't pull my children from BrightPath Kids - hands down!

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources