Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Divorcing Parents  (Read 13192 times)

Offline Mum2Boo

• Infant
Divorcing Parents
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:09:20 PM »
Hi All
I'm looking for some advice on how I handle divorcing parents of one of my daycare charges.
The parents divorce is acrimonious and there difficulties are being brought to the daycare.   

The father has the full support of his family and when he has the child they help him in terms of childcare. 

When the Mum has the child she has a contract with me to provide daycare services.  She works in retail and sometimes has problems meeting my "pick up" times.  We have been working it out to a point but it is becoming increasingly difficult.  The father has now waded in & sent me a separate text, (which he has not informed the Mother of) stating that if the Mother is unable to pick up the child at the closing pick up time, then I should text him & he will collect the child  :-\

My question is what should I do?  ???  Surely this is something the parents should be sorting out away from the daycare & letting me know who is doing pick up  ???

I would also like to add that the Father is offering his support of pick up to me one week & then taking it away the following week, as it makes it difficult for the Mother to manage  :-\

Offline debbiedoeszip

• Infant
Re: Divorcing Parents
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
I would ask to meet with the two of them (together) ASAP (outside of daycare hours), and then make it a "come to Jesus" type meeting where you tell them plainly that while you understand that this is a difficult time for them, you need them to decide on a plan together re: p/u and then they need to stick to the plan they've created. 

I would make this their problem to fix.  And then going forward, if one of them is late for p/u then I'd charge them a late fee, and if lateness was becoming a chronic issue, then I'd consider terminating the childcare arrangement.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources