Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Rotavirus Vaccine  (Read 2505 times)

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
Rotavirus Vaccine
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:41:52 PM »
A blue-ribbon panel of scientists is urging parents to have their babies vaccinated against rotavirus, a common cause of diarrhea and vomiting in youngsters, and a disease that often wreaks havoc in daycare centres.

"Parents should consider doing this because their infants and families are likely to benefit," Joanne Langley, chairwoman of the National Advisory Committee on Immunization, said in an interview. "This is a safe and effective vaccine."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080122.wlpicard22/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home

The vaccine is not yet subsidized by the government as it's cost effectiveness is in the process of review. The vaccine is rather expensive.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: Rotavirus Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 02:46:20 PM »
I admit Rotavirus is most distructive in daycares...Another vaccine eh...I like to see these vaccines have a history..a good history before I use them. Cost effectiveness though...likely if its a good vaccine..will save families/businesses with young children lots and lots of money..saved from not missing work because most of the time when this hits, the family has to stay off a week.  ITs like norwalk too, highly infectious..I make my dc families stay away 48 hours after vomiting or diareeah...thats from the LAST bout of it...I want them back when they are healthy, ready to participate and not infectious!

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources