Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Breastfeeding Makes Kids Smarter: Study  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
Breastfeeding Makes Kids Smarter: Study
« on: May 08, 2008, 02:51:01 PM »

For years, new parents have been told that breast is best and that's been proven over and over again when it comes to the health benefits for both mother and baby.

But a recent report proves that nursing also boosts brain power.

A massive study conducted by researchers at the University of McGill shows that breast feeding raises a child's IQ and improves their academic performance.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_22383.aspx

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
Re: Breastfeeding Makes Kids Smarter: Study
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »
All I know, from my own experience, is that my children have been assessed at being above average (youngest) and well-above average (oldest) and they were both nursed for a good length of time each.  I also know that the children I work with who were nursed for a good length of time are also above average.  I think it also has to do with the parent/child interaction.  Of course, when you are nursing you are giving your child alot of one-one-one time, attention, etc. so i would think that is part of it.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:38:08 PM by gdcAdmin »

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:39:22 PM »
Are there any kits you know of that parents can use at home to assess their children? I'm not sure how valid this question is but it would be good if something like that existed.

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 11:17:37 PM »
We have a Children's Therapy Centre that is open to everyone and my oldest child has been seen by them.  Her school also has done testing and the results showed she is ahead by two years.  My youngest was assessed at the Health Unit as our city is a pilot project for assessing children under the age of three.  My preschool is also a part of the pilot project and I am trained to assess chidlren so have taken part in it but I would not do my own children.  I think an impartial person would need to do that. 

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 02:25:47 PM »
What types of assessments are you trained to conduct?

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources