Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: disinfectants that you use. Questions  (Read 6427 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
disinfectants that you use. Questions
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:54:33 PM »
Ok, I only have a couple more minutes to "wonder away"..so I wonder...what you all use to disinfect your home. How often?
Do you have any faith in Lysol spray? Do you have any info on it that you want to share?  I do  use lysol spray...2x daily...before new groups of children come. I spray doornobs 2x day, lighswitches, chairs, stools, benches, kids ZIPPERS!!!, I also spray bleach and water on toilets, faucets once per day at the end of the day.
I use liquid soap and buy paper towel for regular daily handwashing..did you know I spent $300 on papertowel products last year!  Does anyone use real towels? how do you keep track of whos whos? Ive heard of people embroidering names on them..coool. but i dont have that talent..or time...

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
Re: disinfectants that you use. Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:14:12 PM »
Ok, I only have a couple more minutes to "wonder away"..so I wonder...what you all use to disinfect your home. How often?
Do you have any faith in Lysol spray? Do you have any info on it that you want to share?  I do  use lysol spray...2x daily...before new groups of children come. I spray doornobs 2x day, lighswitches, chairs, stools, benches, kids ZIPPERS!!!, I also spray bleach and water on toilets, faucets once per day at the end of the day.
I use liquid soap and buy paper towel for regular daily handwashing..did you know I spent $300 on papertowel products last year!  Does anyone use real towels? how do you keep track of whos whos? Ive heard of people embroidering names on them..coool. but i dont have that talent..or time...

You must be a home daycare provider, as daycare centres are not premitted to use sprays during the day or around the children.  Simply using a bleach and water mixture works the same or even better than using Lysol.

Liquid soap is great, i hope you are using an antibacterial one.  As for real towels, you can purchase a different color for each child or using iron on decals.  You can then send them home for cleaning or do it yourself.  (You would probably not have them returned on time if you sent them home).

Are you serious about spraying the Kids ZIPPERS?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »
There are conflicting studies about antibacterial soap ..regular soap is recommended and is what i use most of the time..unless its outbreak time then i sometimes go to the antibacterial one..I practice proper 20-30 second handwashing immediatly upon arrival and before eating after toileting of course..it is done infront of me at my kitchen sink- i supervise this activity as i feel strongly about its effectiveness in reducing the spread of illnesses.  I spray between groups of children..i have before school kids that come, then a day group then an after school group..so i find it helps to spray between groups along side the use of bleach and water..I spray kids coat zippers periodically when there have been outbreaks at school or I know others are sick at their home...as a preventitive..and never when children are directly present..i can see the concern with that. but im not like totally obsessed with spraying things lol, i just find it is effective to spray things like doornobs and lightswitches etc ...as an addition to regular cleaning...especially during peek illness times...those viruss live on surfaces a long time and can spread a long way..and I find the spray convienient and I find there is little illness around here, so I figure that correlates.  gotta go! kids have arrived! bye till tomarrow!

jenece

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 06:00:20 PM »
You aren't the only one who sprays unusual things!  I always have rough, chapped hands from constant hand washing, washing EVERYTHING, and yes, it DOES make a difference to the number of children that get/don't get sick.  My illness incidents are very low and the health unit has even said how much cleaner my centre is than the school district!  We sing the ABC's so we know how long to wash (recommended by our health unit) and our health unit has also taken antibacterial soap off the 'must use' list now that they know it actually lowers your body's natural ability to fight off germs.  I wash all the toys three times a year (and that means wiping every crayon, tiny piece of Lego, etc!) through the dishwasher or wiped with bleache and that is a three day job (there really isn't a Christmas/Easter or Summer break for me!)! but it really helps.  The health unit recommends bleach (I think it is 6:1) but they do allow cleaners that are 'sanitizing' but I can't find one.  I have an allergy to bleach and have had bleache poisoning so have to find something soon!  I am also allergic to latex so gloves don't help!  That is why my hands are in such rough shape.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »
Hi Jenece
I hope you join the group! You have great info! I used to use a cleanser in a daycare called dual quat..I think you could get it from a industrial cleaning company or order it online? I use the bleach and water mixture in the sink and soak toys that have been mouthed (daily) and wash large non electronic items inteh dishwasher too. I find hot soapy water on the items and a good spray of bleach and water on the other toys and surfaces and lysol betweengroups helps emensly. They say good ol soap and water does the trick! and good ol bleach is the best household discinfectant ... but I wonder if Lysol s jsut as good :D

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 03:32:39 PM »
I believe in the centres we used Torr for cleaning and disinfecting (hen the children were not arround) and simple bleach and water when they were.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 03:34:08 PM »
as well as soap and water.  lol

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 03:24:43 PM »
Here's some information I found regarding bleach solution for disinfecting.

For disinfecting areas contaminated by blood, feces, vomit, and urine, as well as, environmental disinfecting during outbreaks. For disinfecting a diaper change table, counter tops, general disinfecting and disinfecting toys, use 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of bleach with 495 ml (2 cups) of water.

For disinfecting areas contaminated by blood, feces, vomit, and urine, as well as, environmental disinfecting during outbreaks, use 50 ml (1/4 cup) of bleach mixed with 450 ml (2 1/4 cups) of water.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:30:07 PM by Laura »

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources