Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: full day kindergarten info  (Read 5057 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
full day kindergarten info
« on: January 22, 2008, 03:02:56 PM »
The Ontario government has taken its first step in fulfilling an election promise by announcing it will begin offering full-day kindergarten classes in three years.

The government will spend $200 million in 2010 and another $300 million in 2011 to get the project off the ground, Premier Dalton McGuinty said on Tuesday.

Education Minister Kathleen Wynne said three adults will monitor pupils during the day -- a teacher, an early childhood educator and an educational assistant.

For those parents who wish to have their children in the full-day classes, schooling would begin each day at 7:30 a.m. and run until 6 p.m. Classes would have about 25 kids, Wynne said.

"The kids are there for either half the day or the full day, depending on what their parents want," she said.

Expanding junior and senior kindergarten will improve learning skills for the 250,000 four- and five-year-old students across the province, McGuinty said.

"They perform better when it comes to their math and language skills, and they are also more proficient throughout their school years," he said of early childhood education.

"All that starts in the earliest years, and that's why we are so enthusiastic and excited about moving forward with full-day learning."

The government also announced it has appointed a special advisor to help set up the program.

Dr. Charles Pascal, who McGuinty called "one of Canada's leading experts in early childhood education," is the chairman of the Education Quality and Accountability Office and served as the deputy minister of the Ministry of Education in 1991. He is also the former president of Sir Sandford Fleming College.

Pascal said expanding kindergarten is an important initiative.

"It's all about a huge boost for lifelong learning, Pascal said. "This is huge."

Parents at Bruce Junior Public School, where the announcement was made, said they were thrilled by the kindergarten initiative.

"It's hard for people who are trying to make a living to take care of their kids and it gets very expensive when it comes to daycare," said one father. "This way they're going to be getting a great education at the same time."

"It's more opportunities for (my daughter) to learn," added one mother.

The Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care called McGuinty's announcement "terrific,'' but said they would like to see the plan implemented faster and with better funding.

"Honestly, it's going to take a lot more cash than that. It's going to take a lot more funding than that,'' coalition executive director Elizabeth Ablett told The Canadian Press.

"Although I understand it does take time to build something right, it does take substantial funding.''

The New Democrats, however, said they're worried the phase-in plan could take as long as 10 years.

"I'm very skeptical about his commitment,'' said NDP education critic Rosario Marchese. "The idea is to get as much positive press as you can, and then roll it out every so leisurely and still maintain `We're doing it.'''

this was found on the CTV news website.http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071127/kindergarten_plan_071127/20071127?hub=TopStories

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
Re: full day kindergarten info
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:08:23 PM »
Hi Spud
Thanks for the article.  Full day kindergarten is not a new concept, i just believe it has never been approved. Money might be the root of it.  Also i know of several daycares who offer full day junior kindergarten classes onsite so parents don't have to send their children to school.  What are your thoughts on this?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 03:30:38 PM »
HI Laura :)
Hmm so much to say, so little time..
I agree, this is already in place in some schools...and is paid for by the parents as daycare fees. These centres usually run out of the gyms or the kindergarten rooms of the schools and are ultimately convienient to families needing before and afterschool care. There are often 2 staff with up to 30 kids ages JK-6- so it can be alot of fun for kids.  Some parents want this for their children ( I think there are pro s and cons to both private home daycare and centre oriented daycare) some parents like the structure and large scope of a daycare school "hub"..other parents need a more individualized care, maybe earlier or later, need more quiet space or smaller group is desired (ie only 5 kids plus providers own kids) some kids benefit from more individualized attention at homes...some dont want to be at "school from 7am -6pm....some do.... great -quality care can be found in private home daycares if one looks hard for a program that works for them...and some afterschool hubs can be ultimate too..so one must look around!! The only difference here according to the article is it would be publicly funded...

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »
Hi Spud,
Some schools are full-time kindergarten, but the daycare centres i'm referring to actually have fullday kindergarten as part of the daycare not within the schools (gyms, etc).  These centres are actually following the DNA rules and regulations, as well as the ratios, but at the same time following the Ministry of Education policies for schooling.

Full day kindergarten is definitely not for every child.  Once again it falls down to individual choice and temperament of the child. (And parental needs)

It would be nice to have some funding for full day schooling but in the end whose pocket is it coming out from?

HI Laura :)
Hmm so much to say, so little time..
I agree, this is already in place in some schools...and is paid for by the parents as daycare fees. These centres usually run out of the gyms or the kindergarten rooms of the schools and are ultimately convienient to families needing before and afterschool care. There are often 2 staff with up to 30 kids ages JK-6- so it can be alot of fun for kids.  Some parents want this for their children ( I think there are pro s and cons to both private home daycare and centre oriented daycare) some parents like the structure and large scope of a daycare school "hub"..other parents need a more individualized care, maybe earlier or later, need more quiet space or smaller group is desired (ie only 5 kids plus providers own kids) some kids benefit from more individualized attention at homes...some dont want to be at "school from 7am -6pm....some do.... great -quality care can be found in private home daycares if one looks hard for a program that works for them...and some afterschool hubs can be ultimate too..so one must look around!! The only difference here according to the article is it would be publicly funded...

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 04:16:35 PM »
Yes, I think the centres that run full day (or alternating daycare/school) are awsome. I think most of them offer quality programs and help prepare children for the challenging future and expectations ahead of them. If I were having to choose right now, I would personally place my child in one of these centres/homes that focus already on the kindergarten years.  Perhaps theses centres/homes should receive funding to offer this kind of programming as an alternative to funded in-school full daycare/schooling 7am-6pm as indicated in the article...so parents do have a choice. I ultimatly, would love to see Best Start Funding re-enstated by our Federal Government-the conservs.  Good for the Liberals for trying to offer some kind of publicly funded childcare.

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 06:26:54 PM »
My preschool is open to children ages 30 months thru Kindergarten (as licencing allows here in BC) and I always have some K's attending the morning class and then go to Kindergarten for the afternoon.  Actually, I do an extended morning for them for another half hour so they can stay and have lunch (that they bring) right after the preschool class ends and since we back onto the school, we just walk through the gate and over to K.  It works really well for those families who choose to access it.  It is a nice option because if their child needs additional supports, they can access it through the Children's Therapy Centre, the group is smaller than Kindergarten so they get more attention than they do in K, the children actually get more educational programming here than K, tyhey receive assessments and portfolios that give the parents more info than the K teacher does and the cost is much less than childcare (they pay the preschool fees plus a Kindercare fee which is only $20 a month for 2 days a week or $45 for fulltime).  My full timers pay a total of $329 a month compared to starting at $700 in the family childcares in the area.  Oh, and if they are subsidized that is lowered considerably. 

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »
That sounds awsome for the parents..but how can you afford to do this!? Are you subsidized by the govt?

jen ece

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 07:32:47 PM »
The full time fee is $329 and if a family qulifies for subsidy then they receive a deduction of $235.  The government of BCprovides us with an operating grant of $1.37 per child, per day (so that is about $27.40 for a full, regular month.).  It isn't a get-rich profession!

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 02:23:21 AM »
The full time fee is $329 and if a family qulifies for subsidy then they receive a deduction of $235.  The government of BCprovides us with an operating grant of $1.37 per child, per day (so that is about $27.40 for a full, regular month.).  It isn't a get-rich profession!

The biggest joke, if I saw one. That's just enough for a chocolate bar.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 06:51:41 PM by gdcAdmin »

jenece

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 04:23:55 PM »
Tell me about it!  The insurance per child is over $80 per year so the grant goes to that.  There is so much involved that people don't realize the true cost to good, quality, educational programming and care. 

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 02:39:38 PM »

I'm under the assumption that this fee if for preschool children, what about the other ages? 

jen ece

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 04:13:47 PM »
The fee is the same for all ages - 30 months through Kindergarten.  Preschool in BC is for ages 30 months (must be 3 by Dec. 31st. the year of entry) until they enter Gr. 1.  Oh, I think I put the full time subsidy for preschool at $235, it is $225 - $11.25 a day to a maximum of 20 days.  Now that is for PRESCHOOL, not childcare.  Also, ECE's in BC are qualified to teach preschool, in childcare AND private Kindergarten - so they can run their own program but it isn't common because it isn't funded by the Ministry of Education.

The grant is an operating grant so is not a deduction from the parent fee.  It isn't linked to parent fees at all.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources