Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Time Outs  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
Time Outs
« on: June 13, 2008, 12:01:07 AM »
How effective do you find time-outs to be with children under the age of 4?  Do you believe that young children truly comprehend the meaning of time-out?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: Time Outs
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:19:49 AM »
Depends on how it is used. I do believe a child as young as 2.5 can comprehend being left out..if its kept to 2 min for age 2, 3 min for age 3, 4min for age 4 etc..in a location close by the parent/caregiver in a predetermined location ie stair, or chair..and its followed by words that explain what is happening, then yes it can be effective.  ie "when you hit, you sit!" in a firm voice, direct the child to the spot and then discuss the issue at their age level after the 2 min time out..or whatever..ask them why they are sitting? if they can answer you, then you were clear in the first place!

Offline Christine

• Infant
Re: Time Outs
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 10:01:07 AM »
I use 'time outs' as a last resort, and I don't call them time outs.

Usually when my child or someone elses needs several reminders - lets say they are hitting and they have been told to use their gentle hands, and not for hitting and all that jazz, then they are told that they need to sit on the stairs until they are ready to be nice/use nice hands/stop screaming/fighting -I always give the reason why they are sitting.

I also leave it up to them when to come off- I'll say something like " When you are ready to use  your hands for playing or being nice then you can come back", and when they do I remind them what the expectation is and if they choose to do it again they will have to sit on the stairs for # of minutes. If it is for my older daughter who will be 5 soon, the next step from the stairs is the bedroom-and that is after she has already been on the stairs once, the next time is the bedroom.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources