Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Poll

Do you think Pablo Cano-Lopez should have been convicted?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: New programs target shaken-baby syndrome  (Read 1435 times)

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
New programs target shaken-baby syndrome
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:30:04 PM »
This is a very sad story. Although it happened in the US, I feel parents and child care providers should read it.  :( :( :(

Pablo Cano-Lopez told detectives he was at "the breaking point" when he lifted his crying stepson, 4-month-old Elijah Llanos, and shook him four or five times. The baby stopped crying and whimpered before falling asleep.

Six hours later, Elijah's lips had turned blue. He was rushed to a hospital, but by the next day, Feb. 19, 2006, he was pronounced dead.

"He just kept on crying again, and that's when I I just got irritated, man," Cano-Lopez told police, according to transcripts. "That's when I shook him."

Lopez, 23, of Lake Worth, Fla., confessed and was convicted in May of manslaughter and aggravated child abuse. He was sentenced July 11 to 20 years in prison.

"It's hard to understand," says Robert Gershman, Cano-Lopez's defense attorney. "He loved his children and, in a moment, shook the child out of not only frustration but irrational thinking. Not until it's over does he realize it's wrong, and he should have walked away."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-07-21-shaken-baby-syndrome_N.htm

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources