Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: slow learners  (Read 5305 times)

Offline mka

• Infant
slow learners
« on: January 04, 2010, 01:14:32 PM »
Hi there everyone, I have been running a dayhome now for 3 years.  I have a question about what to do about a child i have in my care.  This boy ( which is a twin) is 4 years old and he has been in my care for almost 2 years now,( I also watch his twin brother).  In this 2 years I have notice very little development from him, he is very hard to understand and talks alot like a 2 year old.  He has no interest in playing games, making most crafts with any of the other children here. He is always breaking all the toys I have. I try to help him learn things such as songs, counting ABC's, and he doesn't not catch on to anything.  I have never dealt withtwins before, as his Twin Brother is not anything like this, he is a bright boy.
I have tryed to express my concern with his parents and they do not seem to care at all with what I have to say.
I am concerned about this boy, that he needs some extra help with learning and he is not getting it.
Is this my place to step in and say something?
I do watch him pretty much all week except for Tues. and Thurs. mornings, which he is in playschool.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: slow learners
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 03:09:25 PM »
Hi there! I would suggest using a developmental screening tool like the nipissing chart..or go to your local preschool resource centre and ask for developmental checklist that you can use to help identify learning or developmental delays. Parents are often in denial ..and need something else to help bring it to their attention. Its too late once in school, so early identification is always preferable. Good luck!

Offline stephenmiller

• Infant
Re: slow learners
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 02:56:37 AM »
I think you should talk with his parents about this extra care. So that they also can take extra care of their child and also will help you in the development of the child.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources