Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: rest time stipulations  (Read 8568 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
rest time stipulations
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »
The day and nurseries act recently revised the rest time section stating that preschool children who do not sleep are to be offered a quiet room after one hour of rest time...enabling the sleepers to sleep and the wakers to wake up-how is this affecting daycares ? Have you had to hire more staff to compensate for this? P.s> Nap times are not to exceed 2 hours unless parents request it.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
Re: rest time stipulations
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:04:51 PM »
Spud,

This has always been the case.  I've been in the field for over 10 years and rest-time has always been 2 hours in length and if a child doesn't rest after 1 hour, you offered them a quiet activity, a book on their bed, coloring at a table at the other end of the room, thus allowing the sleepers to sleep.  As for hiring more staff, no because this is usually lunch times for the staff members and there is always someone on hand to lend a hand if needed.  I guess this another difference of home-based versus centre based childcare.

I have always found that parents were not keen on the 2 hour nap time, especially for the preschool age category (although i've heard it from some toddler parents as well). They felt that this was interferring with the night time sleep.  As well, in a centre situation, you have to carry through with the rest of the program, unless this is an infant in which you follow the individual child's requirements.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 03:10:05 PM »
I havent had any preschoolers before so havent faced this issue myself..but have seen in daycares what is practiced. I wondered if centres have to hire extra staff because they can't rely on staff who are on breaks as their breaks are also required by law so they cant be expected to come back to work early...so if you have a loud preschooler who disturbs the others the others parents might complain, so perhaps they need to be moved to another room, so is there a staff hired specifically for the wake up room? Before in the centres i was in the children were all expected to stay on cot for teh 2 hour time even if awake.,,but now they are aloud to be removed to a "wake up room" after one hour...

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 03:14:01 PM »
ya, in home based care of course the little ones can be asleep and the awake preschooler can be removed from rest area to another room adn the care giver can supervise them and leave the sleepers until they wake- using a monitor-(notice how home based childcare providers work in solo and are self employed so we arent bound by labour laws and get no real breaks-we work 12 straight hours inmost cases)  but in a centre they cant can they? In a centre they must remain in the same room...so im wondering if all centres have implemented the "wake up room" and at what cost?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 03:18:07 PM by spud »

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 03:21:56 PM »
In a centre environment, there are no wake rooms (at least i haven't seen any).  The children are kept in the same room and offered quiet activities.  It will be interesting to see what the centres will do if they will have to implement a "quiet room". 

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 01:19:47 PM »
i've seen it practiced at one centre. They have adjoining rooms, and have an extra staff in the wake up room so that children from 2 groups on either side of the room can join once awake thus leaving the others to sleep.  I had thought this was becoming a new stipulation for centres, but maybe its just a suggestion at this time.  Im sure the costs would build up for small centres if they had to hire additional staff...

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 09:49:43 AM »
http://www.search.e-laws.gov.on.ca/en/isysquery/2338217a-aa8f-4174-82db-795071998934/1/frame/?search=browseStatutes&context=

this link will give you the rundown on the day and nurseries act.
I see that it just says that children need to be offered quiet activities during rest time if they do not sleep after 1 hour, and rest time cannot exceed 2 hours.  (this is an ammendment - because it never used to stipulate the fact children should be aloud to do quiet activities during this time-it only said 2 hour rest times before) so it will be up to each centre to decide if they can afford a "wake up room" or if they will just settle with books etc on the cots...i do find this rather disruptive to the others though...so quality will be found in those centres that offer the wake up rooms...IMO

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 02:24:53 PM »
http://www.search.e-laws.gov.on.ca/en/isysquery/2338217a-aa8f-4174-82db-795071998934/1/frame/?search=browseStatutes&context=

this link will give you the rundown on the day and nurseries act.
I see that it just says that children need to be offered quiet activities during rest time if they do not sleep after 1 hour, and rest time cannot exceed 2 hours.  (this is an ammendment - because it never used to stipulate the fact children should be aloud to do quiet activities during this time-it only said 2 hour rest times before) so it will be up to each centre to decide if they can afford a "wake up room" or if they will just settle with books etc on the cots...i do find this rather disruptive to the others though...so quality will be found in those centres that offer the wake up rooms...IMO

Spud,
this is not true, i've gone through two different versions of the DNA that i own and both say:
Section 53, subsection 5 paragraph c says: (1990, revised 1995)
"a child who is unable to sleep during the rest period is not kept in bed for longer than one hour and is permitted to engage in quiet activities."

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 01:33:01 PM »
Yes,
Nap times are crucial for optimum brain development and have been incorporated for infants and toddler up to 4 yrs old, unless the parent specifies naps to continue after age 4. NO longer than 2 hrs. of course, unless otherwise indicated by the parent for example if the child were ill and required an extra half-hour, plus some additional checking in on them, while they are napping...of course too!

I offer the quiet activities as suggested like reading or playing with miniature toys,puzzles,books, dolls or other quite activities for older children.  No television or movies during the quiet time though!...Occasional VHS & DVD movie days w popcorn served becomes much more special then!

I have no problem and have the daycare policies outline my and the DNA's opinion on NAPPING, to better encourage families to approve of the set naptime or quiet time at a minimum.

Generally, with in all my years in childcare...it's only the parents who wish to put their children to bed directly or soon after the supper meal...say 7p.m. who have any problem with the daytime nap interfering with the night sleep.  No one not even a child should try to sleep on a full stomach of supper... Maybe an infant may, but toddlers should not generally speaking.

Parents although tired from their own work day, should still try to do some 'one on one' with their own child in the evening, as this will always prove to be beneficial to their child in the later years too! ;)

General my naptime is 1- 3 p.m.for the infants and 2 - 4 p.m. for the older...& sometimes at the same time, depending on the number in attendance that day or other factors.
I do ask for parents to call in advance should they wish to pick-up their child during the nap time, so as to not needlessly wake others still resting and the better prepare their child for a smoother, happier pick-up time!  :D
Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:29:33 PM by RobynsNest »

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 02:49:16 PM »
Thanks for the info RobynsNest.

I also experienced the same issues like you stated.  The parents that tended to give me issues with nap times/rest periods were those who wanted to put their child to bed early.  These tended to be the ones who dropped their child off at the opening of the centre and whose child stayed right to closing, therefore the child only had limited time with their parents (at the most 1-2 hours).

These early years only last for a short while and it is best to enjoy these years while they last. 

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 03:36:26 PM »
When I worked in a large centre the children were all required to rest for the first hour at least then there was a small quiet room that they could do quiet activities (puzzles, bin activities, books).  The staff of three had to take lunch breaks over a three hour period (starting with lunch time and the last returned at snack time.)  My daughters family daycare has a room for nappers and a room for the non-nappers and they watch tv while she has her lunch.  She has made it very clear to parents that this is her lunch hour.  She has a monitor on for the nap room but with the changes to the reg's, you can no longer have children sleeping on a seperate floor from where you are.  I will have to ask her what she is doing about that since she would go upstairs to have her lunch (no closed doors-  -it is an 'open floor plan').  When I sub I stay with the non-nappers in the tv room and always bring activities for them to do that are quiet. I always assumed that a rest time ('rest' is not always a nap) was mandatory but I see a FDC on my street that when I asked her and they do not have a rest time.  Children need a balance of rest/quiet activities, active times, choice play, structured activities, etc. but I find that not all places give this.  It really saves the trouble of miserable children in the later PM!   I agree with the previous posters about when parents have children they bring as soon as you open (or earlier!) and are the last to pick up and they put them right to bed as soon as they get home. I know of one case where the child spent a total of 45 minutes per day with the parents - that was AM and PM!  It was so sad.  Of course these are the ones that don't parent so their children have all kinds of difficulties and they tend to go from one place to the next.  As a parent I always have kept in mind that a well-rested child is a happier, better behaved child and that they need time with their parents.  My oldest wasn't a sleeper let alone a napper but I would have her lay down for a rest. Rather than stressing about her not sleeping (we tried, she just wasn't a 'natural' sleeper she would only get 7 hours max. a night once she slept through the night!) I would think to myself 'they are only little for a short time' and spend that time with her.  That would mean she was up until 11 p.m. then up again at 6 to 6:30 a.m.  Oh, and she would wake up a minimum of once a night too.  Now she is a teenager and I can't get her out of bed!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 03:46:18 PM by jharrisece »

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 02:42:02 PM »
Jharrisece,
you definitely put my posting into more detail....hence you explained in much better detail what i should have said. 
Rest periods for children, whether if the nap or not should be required for a miniumum of 1 hour.  Who wants to deal with cranky children for the rest of the day?

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 04:31:28 PM »
I agree immensely ladies....
It seems we have a collective point of view..on this one!!
 ;)

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 04:34:44 PM »
As the parent of a preschooler I know how difficult it is and wouldn't expect my daughter's daycare to have to deal with her behaviour when it could be 'settled' with a rest!

On top of that, try asking parents if they would give up their lunch break.  That is what their daycare does!

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources