Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Cry it out: 10 reasons why it is not for us  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
Cry it out: 10 reasons why it is not for us
« on: October 02, 2009, 03:26:30 PM »
Cry it out (CIO): 10 reasons why it is not for us

1. Cry it out can cause harmful changes to babies’ brains

2. Cry it out can result in decreased intellectual, emotional and social development

3. Cry it out can result in a detached baby

4. Cry it out is harmful to the parent-child relationship

5. Cry it out can make children insecure

6. Cry it out often doesn’t work at all

7. Even if cry it out does “work”, parents often have to do it over and over again

8. Cry it out is disrespectful of my child’s needs

9. Deep sleep from cry it out is often a result of trauma

10. Our World Needs More Love

http://www.phdinparenting.com/2008/07/05/no-cry-it-out/

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:49:04 AM by Laura »

Offline swisscanmom

• Infant
    • Nature Friends Childcare
Re: Cry it out: 10 reasons why it is not for us
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »
I don't agree with blanket statements like this. Not everything works for every child.
I agree that you don't let an infant cry it out, but many toddlers can handle CIO very well. To state that I don't love him enough because I let him cry it out, is quite frankly offensive, doing CIO is a parenting choice like any others, there is no right or wrong. I let my son cry it out at 1.5yrs, because neither of us was getting enough sleep. He is now 8 yrs old and well adjusted, I have a very close bond with him.
My dd never needed CIO, she went to sleep on her own very easily. I think people that make up such statements have only known children like my dd.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 05:17:30 PM »
I agree with you that not everything works for every child.  I've tried CIO several times with my child and it didn't work for us the first time and it definitely didn't work for us the last time.  What it causes was excessive crying, tantrums and vomiting.  I've had children in childcare whose parents insisted that we put the child down to nap using this method, which we did, but at the expense of the other children not sleeping (therefore the other parents were not happy).  There is no right or wrong answer to this, however, it is really heartbreaking when parents/caregivers use this method and don't check in periodically on the child during the CIO period.   

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:09:16 AM »
I do not agree with the Cry It Out theory..and did not use it with my own children or daycare children. I will take the time to cuddle a child to sleep first thus installing trust and security.

Offline julz

• Infant
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 08:39:12 PM »
I don't agree with blanket statements like this. Not everything works for every child.
I agree that you don't let an infant cry it out, but many toddlers can handle CIO very well. To state that I don't love him enough because I let him cry it out, is quite frankly offensive, doing CIO is a parenting choice like any others, there is no right or wrong. I let my son cry it out at 1.5yrs, because neither of us was getting enough sleep. He is now 8 yrs old and well adjusted, I have a very close bond with him.
My dd never needed CIO, she went to sleep on her own very easily. I think people that make up such statements have only known children like my dd.

Ditto to what she said. As long as the child is checked on frequently, I see nothing wrong with it.

Offline KayFrecks

• Infant
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
I disagree with this posting. I think blanket statements are harsh and don't account for all factors.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources