Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Health Canada Reminds Canadians of the Dangers of Small Magnets  (Read 3315 times)

Offline CareDC

  • Administrator
  • Schoolager
  • *****
  • Posts: 1874
Health Canada Reminds Canadians of the Dangers of Small Magnets
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »
Health Canada is again advising the public of the danger posed by small powerful magnets to children who can swallow them.

If a child swallows more than one magnet over a short period of time, the magnets can attract one another while travelling through the intestines. When this happens, the magnets can slowly tear through the intestinal walls, and block or twist the intestines, and result in serious, possibly fatal, injuries.
Small, powerful magnets are used more frequently today in toys, novelty jewellery items, and other household items and are particularly dangerous. During 2006-2007, several high-profile, wide-scale toy recalls were conducted by toy manufacturers because of this type of magnet separating from toys, resulting in incidents involving children in the United States. Recently, a five-year-old child in British Columbia required emergency surgery to remove two magnetic toy parts that she had swallowed. Additionally, in the United States, as of April 2007, 33 cases of emergency surgery due to swallowed magnets had been reported to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/health-canada-reminds-canadians-dangers/story.aspx?guid=%7BDC074835-11F2-43E6-B2B8-5FF99B5D7245%7D&dist=hppr

 

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources