Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Confusion Over Rates  (Read 39 times)

Offline Tegan

• Infant
Confusion Over Rates
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:00:46 AM »
Hi y'all.
I googled standard childcare rates in Canada and it said it was $14/hr. But most sites like this say people are charging, like $30 a day.  I'm so confused - why so little? That's like $3/hr.  To watch one kid at a time, for example, it wouldn't even be worth it.  I'm not trying to be devil's advocate here, I am actually confused.  If a parent's time at a job is worth whatever their pay is (Say $15/hr) why is my time watching their kids only worth $3/hr?  How does that make sense?  I ask because I am planning on only taking on one child - someone I know desperately needs a childcare provider and I have always wanted to do it. I figure I'll start with one and see how it goes. But when I found out people think $30 or less for a full 8 hours is reasonable I sort of panicked.  That's not even minimum wage. That's not even half minimum wage.  I love kids. I'd do it for free just for fun. But my hubby wants me to get a job soon and bring home the $$$.  How come people do this job if every hour of their day is tied up and it doesn't pay?  I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't understand what the reasoning is or why people are okay with it. It's full time job - no doubt one of the most important jobs in history...but ....we're not supposed to get paid as much as ....any other job, anywhere?

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources