Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: How to dress a newborn?  (Read 51665 times)

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
How to dress a newborn?
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:34:09 PM »
A newborn is to be born in the summer months (June-July).  How would one dress the infant when leaving the hospital?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: How to dress a newborn?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 02:03:35 PM »
depending on time of day and temperature etc, but a diaper shirt and a wee hat goes a long way :D  If its a girl a little dress and a a bonnet or just the little hospital nighties that tie on the back .. I was never into really dressing up my little ones during the summer..so I stuck to what was comfortable..Loose cotton pajamas with no feet...do you know someone havign a baby this summer Laura? :)

Offline Carrie

• Infant
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:28:18 PM »
I dressed my little one in a light PJ and hat and covered her in a receiving blanket.  (not so sure how well little ones regulate their body temperatures-first time mom)

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 02:46:42 PM »
With the way the weather is in Canada you never know how to dress yourself, it's better to use layers and take a layer off if it's too hot, or add a layer if too cold.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »
Very good answer!

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 12:06:54 AM »
If I may add, overheating babies at that age is rather dangerous especially when it's 30 degrees outside. 

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 08:35:54 AM »
Whether someone has air conditioning in their car would also determine how to dress them while in the vehicle..a baby could over heat very quickly in the back of a steamy car on a hot sunny day...even with shades near the baby...or if the car has really good air conditioning baby might even get a draft/cold perhaps..I think the use of a receiving blanket is very useful in the summer..and easy to take on and off..sweaters on newborns are very cute, but not easy to remove.

jen ece

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 11:11:37 AM »
My girls were born June and July, with 40 degree weather here it was basically a diaper, sunhat and onesie.  Then a light receiving blanket for the air-conditioned car/store or outside in the direct sun to prevent burning.  Both the girls were fussy with the heat.

Offline sunshine2012

• Infant
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 12:23:34 AM »
I would use a Cotton Sleeper and a hat. Light Cotton recieving blanket. Babies like to be warm and cuddled.

Offline preeti22

• Infant
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 07:45:29 AM »
I have been using a soft and cosy all in one suit to keep little ones snug while out and about on their travels. This soft fluffy suit will not only keep baby warm but the colourful non-slip pads on the bottom and fee..

Offline stephenmiller

• Infant
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 04:08:58 AM »
A pure cotton dress with a blanket. The blanket is the most important one because this will warm the kids body.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources