Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Child Abandonment  (Read 4155 times)

Offline Carrie

• Infant
Child Abandonment
« on: February 01, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/299104

How can anyone do this to a little one?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: Child Abandonment
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 02:27:28 PM »
Terrible isnt it? yet I think we hear of this every year around toronto. The thing I cant get, is someone actually drove up in a car and dumped the poor thing in the stairwell in just those light clothes..so you know they had a car..its not some streetkid..

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:43:39 PM »
It's horrible, such a tiny creature that can't fend for itself.  What bothers me is that someone actually looked inside the stairwell before dropping the child inside.  They say she might have been abused and they may be trying to get her out of the abusive situation,but still child abandonment. Come on now.

Here's more updates on the story:

http://www.thestar.com/Article/299446
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/299623

jen ece

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 04:36:43 PM »
Stories like this bring me to tears!  If I could just take those little ones home with me...

We had a family abandon their 3 and a half year old, whom they had adopted and then found out was FAS/ADHD and they were not prosecuted at all.  We all had to go through some 'therapy' in a way at the centre I worked at (our boss brought in a woman to a meeting to work with us).  We had to know how to deal with the child who was still attending but in foster care.  We found out that the reports about the parents before they actually adopted the child said that they should not get a child.  They had a biological daughter and they just dropped their child on the front steps of the centre and a staff heard the Dad saying that they weren't coming back and drove away in a moving van.  How can someone do that to a child!

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »
There are alot more stories like this one. We don't often hear about them because they don't get any attention from the media. Can't help them all, jen ece.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 12:57:06 PM »
I hear more than 14 people have come forward wanting to adopt the wee sole..although we all know there is a long process involved there - time will tell. Very interesting suspicious case...I figure someone tried to get this baby out of a dangerous/abusive situation and doesnt want anyone to know.

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 01:36:39 PM »
That's very possible. Hmmmm...I never thought of it this way.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 02:12:38 PM »
Apparently, the news channels are saying that the child may not even be from Ontario, police were saying they have a tip the child may be from BC.....

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources