Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Xmas Holidays  (Read 5203 times)

Offline cece123

• Infant
Xmas Holidays
« on: November 28, 2008, 12:57:08 AM »
I will be closed between 24th until January 2nd and have had some parents ask me now what they owe me for Decemeber - Just wondering should we not get paid at least for the 25th and January 1st?

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
Re: Xmas Holidays
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 03:10:30 PM »
How long have you run your daycare for? Whether you charge or not depends on your policies, but i do suggest that you remain consistent with what you decide to do.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 09:25:26 AM »
HI I am closed 24, 25, 26 and Jan 1..and I charge for all of those holiday days if people want to use any care at all over the holiday..if people want to take the entire 2 week holiday off, they are not charged for any of the 2 weeks..

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 09:27:07 AM »
I also require last payment by the 12th of the month so I can finalize all banking , receipts and can prepare tax receipts first thing in the new year. I have always asked for fees in advance of care...but in December I want all my bank statements complete for 2008..

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »
HI I am closed 24, 25, 26 and Jan 1..and I charge for all of those holiday days if people want to use any care at all over the holiday..if people want to take the entire 2 week holiday off, they are not charged for any of the 2 weeks..

Hmmm.....That's an interesting approach. Why did you choose 2 weeks rather then one week only? I mean, the days in questions fall on the last 7 days of December.

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Thank you too, for prompting me to visit the godaycare forum! ( re: email reminder received)

As for Christmas Holidays I was poised all summer to take Dec 20 to Jan 4 off...
Afterall, lol... I obliged all my families over the entire 2008 summer, so they were not burdened with the booking of other summer care...

Well, as usual in daycare... things have changed, lol...& so did some positions here late in fall, so the new families could use my services now!

Robyn's Nest revised Christmas Holidays are as follows:

Closed Dec 24, 25, 26, 27 ,28. & Jan. 1, 2
OPEN: Dec 22, 23, 29, 30 & 31 (...was going to take this off too)

This year, I am charging 40$/day to the 4 children booked ~so far, children that plan to attend those days...so there is enough booked to earn a little anyways...(should this ever occur again in the future I am seriously contemplating charging 50$ for over Christmas holidays; should this ever happen again.  Works out to approx. 5$ hr based on a typical 10 hr. attendance day!

*  H A P P Y ~ H O L I D A Y S *

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 03:14:19 PM »
Hi Icare

If i understand your email correctly, you are not charging for the days that you are closed?

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 03:16:10 PM »

Let me see if i understand.....

if parents do not bring their child to you during the two weeks then no charge

if parents bring their child for any day, then you charge for the holidays.

Is this correct?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »
Hia
Late responding and all. But yes, parents can take 2 weeks holidays with no charge..per year. So if they take the whole 2 week christmas holiday off i do not charge them..or if they take 2 weeks in the summer I do not charge them. If people come at all over the holiday, then they are charged for the holiday days. ( I can usually fill with other people when they take the whole break off...but its more difficult to fill part time here and there spots..so I guess its an incentive to take a holiday if you dont really need the care! or use those grandparents etc over the holidays if you only need a couple days of care..) If people use any care at all over those 2 weeks, however, they are charged for the holiday days.
Also, If parents want to take the entire summer or march break off I usually do not charge them if they want to use those times as holidays as well..for the same reason that I can usually fill the spots on weeks like those. It also gives parents a chance to use relatives on occassion -especially those grandparents who only want to do it for a week or two a year..but do not want to be the full time childcare giver.
know what I mean, now?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:14:45 PM by spud »

Offline angelwings36

• Infant
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 11:19:42 PM »
I normally take 2 weeks of holidays for christmas. I have always taking stat holidays off with full pay and I charge 50% for one week of holidays at christmas (or 5 days). So here's what I would charge for my 2 week holiday period for a parent who has their child enrolled full time at $600/month.

5 days x $30 x 50% = $75.00
(+)
3 days x $30 full pay = $90.00
(+)
2 days x $30 no pay = $0.00

Total = $165.00
So in order to secure the daycare space the parent would pay $165.00 for my two weeks of holidays. I have never had an issue with parents not agreeing with this payment.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources