Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Menu Ideas  (Read 25991 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Menu Ideas
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:16:27 AM »
Does anyone want to share some menu ideas? what do you feed kids in your daycare? or what would you like to see your child fed in daycare?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: Menu Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 10:04:10 AM »
I like to use my crock pot, as it is quite difficult to cook meals all day and get dinner ready too. I tend to serve the daycare leftovers from our dinners..so I cook lots at one time!!

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 10:07:58 AM »
By the way, I have no kids so thats why Im posting up a storm lol! I think this post will make it 100 posts for spud lol (then Im leaving!!)
I serve chilli (once per month), stews, homemade soups, homemade mac and cheese casseroles, meatloafs, roasts.....

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 02:13:43 PM »
If you would like some sample menus, let me know. I'll find a way to post them.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »
I think this is a worthwhile place to post them. Im sure they would be useful.

jen ece

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 05:27:46 PM »
As I have a preschool I only serve snacks but I do a big baking day once a month and put everything in the freezer.  When I had a childcare I did the same as spud - doubled dinner and reheated the next day with fresh buttered buns, veggies and dip, salad, milk, fresh fruit, etc.  I think I only served soup and sandwhiches twice a year!  I still have a rotating 6 week menu on file and within that I had a multi-cultural meal once a week (to meet the needs of different cultures)with a special menu choice for birthdays or holidays.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 03:34:22 AM »
This is a very interesting method.  How do the parents feel about the children eating leftovers or frozen foods versus freshly cooked foods? 

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 10:41:06 AM »
I do not see that to be of an issue. It was fresh when it was baked and then frozen. Many home centres do this. many families with large families do this ..I do this too actually (especially at CHristmas with my christmas baking and no one ever knows it was froze!), and not only with baked foods, but I sometimes freeze half a chili or something (as I make double batches of everything)..
I would rather have frozed good  homemade food than have my provider or a provider serve from a can or otherwise prepared frozed foods.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 02:02:17 PM »
So very true Spud.  The reason I said this is because I've known parents where i've worked in the past who didn't like the ideas of frozen or left over foods served to their children.  They prefered freshly cooked foods.  I understand totally what you are saying and this is definitely a time safer for everyone.  Who wants to spend most of the time cooking? 

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 02:31:51 PM »
and what parent wants their childcare provider spending a good portion of their day cooking? wouldnt they rather the provider providing quality structured care..with a daily routine and a healthy menu.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 02:33:34 PM »
LOL-you just posted exactly what i was trying to post as well.  Funny we were thinking the same thing.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »
Here's a sample menu:
AM-Morning snack
PM-Afternoon snack

i've got more to post later

Monday
AM - Pancakes and Syrup
Penne Noodles with Meatballs
Tossed Salad & Dressing
Whole Wheat Bun
Milk
Seasonal Fresh Fruit

PM - Carrot Loaf

Tuesday
AM - Cottage Cheese and Melon

BBQ Chicken
Rice with Spinach
Carrots  & Cucumber Coins
Milk
Seasonal Fresh Fruit
PM -  Homemade Pizza Square

Wednesday
AM - Egg Salad and English Muffins
Macaroni & Cheese
Coleslaw
Marble Rye Bread
Milk
Seasonal Fresh Fruit

PM - Fruit Slices and Social Teas

Thursday
AM - Fruit Muffin or Fruit Loaf
Baked Fish Cake
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Peas
Milk
Seasonal Fresh Fruit
PM - Triscuits and Cheese Sticks

Friday
AM -Teabiscuit

Caesar Salad
Submarine Sandwiches
Milk
Seasonal Fresh Fruit

PM - Rice Cakes and Baba Gounash

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 06:30:32 PM »
Oh, and the 'doubled' dinner would not be leftovers - it would be two seperate dishes just one would be made specifically for the daycare.  My parents loved that their children had homemade, nutritious food.

Oh, and here in BC, most daycares do not include meals.  Parents tend to have to provide their own  - my daughter's daycare is one of them.  In addition, she only provides pre-packaged snacks (granola bars, cheese strings, etc.) because the licencing requirements are starting to change.  Many families DO send leftovers from their previous night dinner:)!  I send a full lunch (ex. today was a sliced peach and yogourt for her AM snack - I prefer to supply her snacks because I want her to be limited to one pre-packaged snack a day, not a consistent diet of them.  Her lunch was waffle sticks with syrup, apple juice and I think she had a cheese string.)   

Offline Ccorners

• Infant
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »
We have started providing a meat free lunch once a week at our centre for example a lentil soup or a 3 bean salad. The children still get their protien but we are cutting back on animal protien. As well we serve fish once a week.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 12:13:35 PM »
Not too long ago I went to a Childcare Cooks Conference and we had a speaker there that caters to many Toronto daycares and they promote more beans, lentils diets that are organic..even have meatfree hotdogs made of beans. apparently if introduced slowly once per week, the children eventually do like the food and are receiving very quality food.
Good for your daycare to try this. Keep us posted as to how the children are responding to the new foods!

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources