Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Move worries child-care advocates  (Read 2144 times)

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
Move worries child-care advocates
« on: February 26, 2009, 09:34:09 AM »
WATERLOO REGION

The region is the first municipality in Ontario to lift a moratorium on tax subsidies for daycare centres.

Yesterday, child-care advocates failed to persuade councillors to abandon a policy critics say will open the door to large commercial child-care operations.

Jenny Robinson, executive director of the Ontario Coalition for Better Childcare, said that already large child-care centres want to set up shop in Canada. She was concerned about the precedent council was setting.

"I do think other municipalities will consider it because there is a significant lobbyist movement."

Last August, regional council followed the cities of Toronto, Ottawa, Sudbury and Peel Region and imposed a moratorium on tax subsidies out of fear an Australian-based daycare company would want to move into Ontario.

Since then, the Australian company, called ABC Learning Centres, has gone out of business, but a similar company has shown interest in this country, Robinson said.

Waterloo Region spends about $32 million a year to subsidize child-care fees for about 2,500 children a month, subsidize the wages of child-care workers, fund services for special-needs children and pay the cost of regional daycares and home child-care programs. The region has 130 licensed programs, of which 28 are commercial and 102 are non-profit centres.

Mary Parker, regional director of child services, told council that staff will be examining "very closely" the ownership of any new centres asking for regional subsidies. Council has final approval on applications for money.

Under the region's new daycare policy, it is mandatory for all operators of daycare centres to participate in an accreditation program to get tax subsidies.

The aim is to improve the quality of child care while allowing for the development of much-needed spaces. There are about 25,000 children in the region in need of child care but only 8,719 licensed spaces.

http://news.therecord.com/News/Local/article/494508

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: Move worries child-care advocates
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 02:02:51 PM »
Very informative article, thanks for posting, I have been trying to follow this issue and am pleased to see the ABC daycare is closed.

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:27:01 PM »
You were not aware of this? I'm surprised, spud, as you are usually the first one to know :)

I've been following this for a while now. Apparently they ran into big financial troubles and are now being bought out piece by piece. I didn't fully appreciate the size of this company until i found information stating that there are about 160 bidders. Some of those making an offer are nonprofit organizations (which in theory could be good for the children in those centers).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:28:40 PM by CareDC »

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »
Ya things have been very busy for me these days, not getting much computer time nor do I ever watch the news..(the news is  NOT child friendly need I say!!)so im not in the loop as usual!

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources