Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: behaviour management strategies  (Read 5234 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
behaviour management strategies
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:41:47 AM »
Does anyone have any particular behaviour management strategies that they use and want to share here?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: behaviour management strategies
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 09:55:05 AM »
I find that by having a predictable, age appropriate environment and routine that children are often intersted enough in the planned activities that redirection is the only necessary strategy in most instances. Positive reinforcement and praise is also very effective. 

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »
But some children require more help in behaving in desired ways and some children need more concrete strategies that reward them for their desired behaviour...I sometimes use a sticker system that rewards the desired behaviour and deterrs the specific undersirable behavior.  Children can collect stickers and cash them in for fun activities that they enjoy so long as they have enough stickers...they lose stickers for undesirable behaviour..immediatly so they Feel the impact...

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 12:20:19 PM »
There is an interesting article related to this topic here:
http://www.godaycare.com/childcarearticles/16

This article is created by our guest writer.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 12:24:23 PM »
Very good article. Thanks. I use that technique frequently (for the difficult ones who need to feel like they are in complete control of things)  I also use the authoritive comment (to myoldest kids) this is NOT up for discussion, this is NOT a choice. 

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 02:06:30 PM »
I found positive praise and redirection worked a long way, however the children really liked the use of stickers.  I had a system where the children got tickets for a job well done to put into their individual pockets (Kindergarten class), so they got a chance to also learn how to spell their name.  If they misbehaved they were spoken to and were asked to tell the teacher what was next, they were to return the ticket to the teacher with the opportunity to earn it back at a later time.  At the end of the week the tickets were calculated and the children with "so many" got to choose a reward from the reward basket. (educational Dollar Store stuff).  There was controversy from the parents saying the if the ticket was given, it should not be taken back...even though they would get a chance to earn it back.

I thought it was a good idea for reinforcing positive behaviour...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:42:49 PM by gdcAdmin »

jen ece

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 05:23:43 PM »
I agree with spud that a setting and program created specifically for the develpmental needs of children tends to create an envirnment that provides natural guidance for chidlren.  In fact, my program policies state this!  I find it isn't often I need to provide guidance/redirection/behaviour management.  Then as you get to know each child's individual needs in this area you can look at what you may need to do to change or prepare for any difficulties. 

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 02:04:51 PM »
Any behaviour management strategies that can be used with very young toddlers?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 03:49:01 PM by Laura »

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:30:32 AM »
I put some ideas down under toddlers temper tantrum..basically redirect.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources