Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Dealing with allergies  (Read 2871 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Dealing with allergies
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:00:42 AM »
How do you deal with allergies? Do you require families to send their own subsitute? Do you eliminate all those allergy foods from your home/centre?  Do you take kids with allergies?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: Dealing with allergies
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 10:02:34 AM »
I typically do not take children with peanut allergies because i find the children are not aloud to have peanut and nut products at schools and other locations that I am not going to eliminate it here too..so I offer nut products regularly - I also ask parents to send replacements for items like milk-soy if there is a sensitivity.. I have a daily menu...I am not a restaraunt either!

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
How do you deal with allergies? Do you require families to send their own subsitute? Do you eliminate all those allergy foods from your home/centre?  Do you take kids with allergies?

In centre based care we are faced with a variety of requests. Allergies are dealt with on an individual basis. Each child gets a substitute lunch/snack if there is an allergy.  If it is a request for vegetarian foods or no milk products, parents are requested to supply the substitute.  (I've seen this for catered and onsite cooking staff) As for nut products, centres tend to have a "No Nut" policy. 

As for not taking children with allergies this is not permitted, as it is considered to be discriminatory and centres must be inclusive for all children.  Don't get me wrong I do understand what you are saying, it is hard to cater to all sorts of allergies, but where do you draw the line?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »
Yes, I understand the inclusiveness aspect..I guess to be politically correct..families choose not to come here when they find out I serve nut and nut products often..  ;)
In a private home a provider can be a bit more choosey about who they take into their home as it is their home, and they are limited to 5 kids so its best to find a good match.  The dynamics of the group are very important..but in a centre its different I think.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Very well said Spud.  Here's another difference between centre care and home care.

What about other types of allergies such as strawberries, etc?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 04:10:27 PM »
If children have allergies, then I need to know and I will not serve them that food; but families are to provide their own replacements if they have sensitivities or personal preference over my menu. 

jen ece

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »
I provide snacks in my preschool so I have control over what comes in for any child with any allergy.  Also, it is less for the parents to worry about!  Oh, but the Kinder's bring their own lunch but it is specifically stated that no peanut butter or nuts can come in.  It is a life-threatening allergy and we don't need to be on constant allert about it!  I have had a child with a milk allergy so the parent just sent a sanck in case the child needed something different.  It is rarely a problem because families make their choice if a setting is right for their child based on the program operations. 

As a family with two anaphylactic children (nut allergy, except almonds - a growing number of children have this problem! and for some reason I am showing an allergy to cashews and peanuts, although not anaphylactic yet!) I want to have the choice.     

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources