Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: never been in daycare and starting school!  (Read 3294 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
never been in daycare and starting school!
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:05:55 AM »
Do you think children who have never been in any kind of daycare adjust as easily as those who were in structured daycare before entering kindergarten?

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
Re: never been in daycare and starting school!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:27:10 PM »
That really depends on how independent that child is. Going to kindergarten means changes for a child, and there definitely is an adjustment period. I dreaded those days ...lol

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:50:32 PM »
It also depends on how many interaction/socialization opportunities the child had with other children his own age.   Since each child is different and individual, one cannot predict this.  Based on my experience, children who have been around others his own age and away from the parents for some time adjust better. (So i guess i'm saying structured care of some sort.)

jen ece

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 05:17:14 PM »
Our school district did a city-wide study for Kindergarten entry skills/ readiness when my oldest daughter was in Kindergarten (2000) and the results showed that here in our city, those children that attended licenced group care (that included preschool and pre-K care) were meeting or exceeding the K requirements (socially/academically/developmentally - and they tend to have supports in place).  Our licencing regulations stipulate that certain criteria needs to be met and this gives chidlren the extra 'boost' to be prepared as they are already attending a group setting with a similiar program.  The group that came in second was the children in family-care or city programs/extracurricular programs who were meeting expectations for social skills but not always academically or developmentally.  The last group was those children who attended unlicenced care or were at home with their parent but had no experience in a group.  It was an interesting study and of course there was always the 'odd' one out because every child's experience is different.  A study shows the 'typical norms not the individual norms.

The latest findings from a seven year study (and one which my centre has been a part of with UBC) has shown that here in our province, the largest growing number of children with difficulties is in the middle income - higher income range.  It has been thought for many years that the lower income children had the most difficulties and needed the most supports/funding.  What they are finding is that while there may be a higher percentage of children from lower income families that have difficulties, they are not the majority.  So the larger number (I think they said 70%) of children who require supports developmentally are actually the middle income - higher income.  I had seen this on my own over the years and now the study is proving it.  I find it has been pretty equal in terms of the family financial terms as to which children need supports.  This is one of the reasons behind a universal early education and care program.  Every child, regardless of income, should have the choice if needed/wanted.  We know that one out of every four to one out of every 3 (and in some places, our city for instance in the area where 50% are ESL families 1 in every 2) go into Kindergarten with some form of difficulty.  This should not be the case in a country as 'rich' as ours!  We need to do better for our children! 

As I work closely with our area school, it was interesting (and I will say, I was proud to see!) that our specific school was noticed to be significantly higher than elsewhere in the province and the changes began the year I started working with the school.  These are children who went to my preschool, into Kindergarten and the teachers have said that these children are further ahead.  My own daughter has always grown up in a licenced group environment, is academically ahead by two grades and they want her IQ tested.  I know that her individual experience has certainly helped 'shape' her into the person she is and I do not have any regrets to the choices we made for her.   

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources