Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Potty training  (Read 5697 times)

Offline EtobicokeMommy

• Infant
Potty training
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:40:47 PM »
I just wanted to share my experience potty training my now 3.5 year old.  After a few months of trying to get her to pee in the potty while wearing a pull up I eventually just put her in panties and let things happen.  She did well with the pee side of things - she caught on pretty quick after the first accident - however, it took her forever to poop on the potty.  She would know that it was coming but then would sit and nothing would happen.  After several months, I finally got her the Baby Bjorn little potty (http://www.babybjorn.com/Eng/products/Bathroom/BABYBJORN-Little-Potty/) and then the first time she sat on it, she pooped and it was smooth sailing from then on.  There is nothing magical about the Baby Bjorn one specially, but the shape of it is important - it makes the child squat and therefore, easier to poop.  I think any other brand would be just as good.  Anyway, I hope this helps someone!

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: Potty training
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:04:28 PM »
Hello Etobicoke Mommy! welcome! Good post! I too found that a child sized potty encouraged/assisted potty training for my girls when they were at that stage...I have nt had the luxury of having to potty train any dc kids yet, but should I find that I have the honours of the deed, I will bring out the old wooden potty that is jsut the perfect size for the lil tots!Thanks for the link, Im sure there are nice new
potties on the market today that are very nice!...and maybe even light lol!

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »
Thank-you for the post EtobicokeMommy.  Potty training is one of the most frustrating times for the little ones no matter how young/old they are.  In my experience while working in daycares, bowel movements always seemed to be an issue.  We'll keep this potty in mind for future trainings.

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 02:38:04 PM »
How much does it go for roughly? I looked around and couldn't find any place that would display prices on the site.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 02:41:28 PM »

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 02:43:07 PM »
Are there any other places to buy this from?

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »
Why are some $40 and others only $17? That's a big difference in price.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 12:14:11 AM by gdcAdmin »

Offline TarikMom

• Infant
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »
Hello everyone,
I do not want to wait until my child is 3 years old to start potty training. He is 15 months old now and I am thinking of starting in a couple of weeks. Are there any other moms here that did it this early? Do you start with the pee or poops first or you try to teach him altogether?
Thanks

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 05:54:20 PM »
Pees are usually easier to start with (and then add poops in once they hide around the corner/couch or squat on the potty on their own). But have a big drink fest..lots of drinks and fun peeing lots for a week..they get good at it fast!  Good luck!

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources