Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Poll

Do you and your family get the flu shot?

yes we all get the shot and no concerns, it protects us!
I get the shot but the kids do not
The kids get the shot but I do not
None of us get the flu shot
I wont get the flu shot, I think my own immunity should built up to these viruses on it own.

Author Topic: To get a flu shot or NOT!?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
To get a flu shot or NOT!?
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:18:41 PM »
There is controversy as to whether the flu shot really helps reduce the number of flu cases per year..or the number of deaths per year.  Scientists have to guess which strains they think will circulate and then create a vaccine in advance to the flu season..many times the worst strains are not covered by the vaccine anyways.
Others feel healthy individuals should allow their own immunities to build up against viruses. This will make them healthier as they age and people will have their own ability to fight the viruses with their established immunities.  Most people agree, however that those who are compromised or ill already or elderly benefit from the flu shot as they do not have the ability to build immunities...
What do you think? Do you think workplaces have the right to require their employees to get the flu shot?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: To get a flu shot or NOT!?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:08:16 PM »
Today CNN reports  that
"The flu shot is a good match for only about 40 percent of this year's flu viruses, officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

The situation has even deteriorated since last week when the CDC said the vaccine was protective against roughly half the circulating strains. In good years, the vaccine can fend off 70 to 90 percent of flu bugs.

Infections from an unexpected strain have been booming, and now are the main agent behind most of the nation's lab-confirmed flu cases, said Dr. Joe Bresee, the CDC's chief of influenza epidemiology.

It's too soon to know whether this will prove to be a bad flu season overall, but it's fair to say a lot of people are suffering at the moment. "Every area of the country is experiencing lots of flu right now," Bresee said.

This week, 44 states reported widespread flu activity, up from 31 last week. The number children who have died from the flu has risen to 10 since the flu season's official Sept. 30 start."

for up to date local canadian flu stats go to:
 http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/fluwatch/index-eng.php
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:11:13 PM by spud »

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:17:10 PM »
That's a very low percentage. I knew that the vaccine was not preventing 100% but 40% is rather disappoinging.

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »
This year we missed getting the flu shot because the only day off we had to go was the only day they didn't have it!  We ended up with 6 weeks of flu and colds this year.  The years we have had the shot we get a milder flu but not flu-free. I only started getting the shot again three years ago when the groups of children I work with were changing more.  When I worked with the same children over a longer period of time you all seem to become 'immune' but the changing made me more susceptible.

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 05:38:17 PM »
Flu is very hard to control. It mutates quite rapidly. So, they are having a very difficult time with it.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources