Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Day and Nurseries act  (Read 7924 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Day and Nurseries act
« on: February 05, 2008, 04:29:42 PM »
When deciding to explore the option of running your own daycare be sure to check out the day and nurseries act and be sure to know the rules! I see many stay at home moms, or moms on mat leave decide to do daycare for a year...informally, but are not aware of the rules that even they are bound by ie only 5 children under the age of 10 in the home regulation. you can be fined $2000 per day that you are over in those ratios..even if you are unlicensed!

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
Re: Day and Nurseries act
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:21:20 PM »
wow, that's pricey. I wonder how often they actually enforce that.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 06:30:55 PM »
I have heard of daycares in toronto being fined..and in a town near me I know of a couple centres/homes that were investigated and shut down..so if someone annoynomusly calls they investigate always, they may catch people.  But I m sure many many providers have too many kids.

jen ece

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:53:58 PM »
Well, the majority of childcare in this country is unlicenced and typically illegal if you look at the provincial regulations. 

Here in BC it was a $10,000 fine to operate illegally (you may have two children or one sibling group not related to be unlicenced) but it was rarely done.  They would close places down though.  Now they have changed the reg's to be $2,000 per incident to a maximum of $10,000 (I guess that is a week) and I am wondering if they lowered the fine because they are going to start implementing it more often.  The thing though, whoever reports it has to go to court so they are 'found out' - I don't agree with that.  It tends to 'penalize' those who do the reporting.  Also, the licencing officers are required to get a search warrant before actually going in. 

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 03:27:19 AM »
What about your own children? Are they included in the numbers?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:48:09 AM »
In licensed homes usually not..unless the providers kids are under the age of 6 and so are all the other daycare kids (none are schoolage) then they count in the ratios like still aloud only 3 kids under the age of 3..but unlicensed home daycare providers can have 5 daycare kids not including their own.  It can seem like a lot! I would definatly ask how many kids in total are in the house under the age of 6...if going totally with an unlicnesed home and placing a child of this age.

I personally stick to the 3 kids under age of 3 and then have 2 schoolagers and maybe a couple of kids over the age of 10, plus my own older girls..which may seem like a lot, but I can handle that much. When I first started out 12 years ago, I would have only had 2-3 kids, plus my own as I wasnt near as experienced.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 10:55:36 AM »
Does this link work? Im find e-laws links are nt working !
http://www.search.e-laws.gov.on.ca/en/isysquery/520fc0a2-1bde-4cf4-9a9a-7ff8944cf0ce/4/frame/?search=browseStatutes&context=

if not search e-laws.gov.on.ca and find the day and nurseries act.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 01:58:13 PM »
Link is definitely working.

jen ece

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »
Every province has different reg's.  In BC and Alberta the number of children / ages must include your own. 

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 05:24:36 PM »
and I noticed Quebecs laws are very very different

jen ece

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »
Can we have a place on here for each province?  Then caregivers and teachers can discuss ideas/concerns/questions/etc. specifically for their province. 

I went to a great meeting last night to celebrate the one year anniversary of our provincial 'one day shut down' to raise awareness about government cut backs.  There was some wonderful info. including the proposed provincial universal system that they actually have put on paper to show how it would work, how it would be funded (basically, just shifting current funding around and using it better than the current government does but getting more out of it!!) I would love to share info. with someone else from BC.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 01:30:27 PM »
Quote from godaycare child care articles: "A licensed daycare provider is a childcare facility that cares for more than five unrelated children under the age of 10 and meets criteria listed in the Day Nurseries Act and is set out by the Provincial Government. The Day Nurseries Act is the legislation that regulates licensed child care in Ontario. The act sets out the requirements that a licensed child care operator has to meet in order to operate. These requirements help protect the health, safety and well-being of children" End quote

ACTUALLY...a licensed daycare provider does not have to be a facility..a home can be licensed and a licensed home is only aloud up to 5 children under the age of 10...a non licensed daycare home is still only aloud up to 5 children by law but they are not monitored.  This article should be revised to indicate this.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:04:07 PM by spud »

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 01:50:34 PM »
Thanks for this information.  I'm sure that this will be helpful for many parents, as not all may be aware of these rules and regulations.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 11:35:27 AM »
http://www.childcarecanada.org
this link above also have great info on what is required by providers and what kind of monitoring and rules daycare providers have.  Check it out, its got lots of stats too.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources