Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: child is out of control at pick-up time  (Read 3755 times)

Offline marie-Claude

• Infant
child is out of control at pick-up time
« on: August 17, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »
One of the children I take care of (2 1/2 year old girl) is an absolute angel all day, but the minute her mother arrives her behavior is completely unacceptable. she screams , hits the other children and my dog..jumps all over the furniture with her dirty shoes on. when her mom finally manages to get her out of the house she will run all over the street and so on. her mother has no control over her.
There is an obvious lack of discipline with the mother(she would NEVER act like this with me lol) but I'm not out to tell her how to raise her child . all I would like is for this behavior not to occur in my home! and in front of the other parents and children.
help! ???

Offline jodaycare

• Infant
Re: child is out of control at pick-up time
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 08:53:53 PM »
I have it my contract that the same rules apply even though Mom or Dad is here and I will and have stepped in to remind a child of those rules while the parent is there. I would simply say to the child, it is time for you to go home now Mom or Dad has had a busy day and now they want to go home to spend some time with you.  I have put children on timeout when they misbehave when their parents are here. I do not allow hitting or screaming at any time.

Offline marie-Claude

• Infant
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 01:25:34 PM »
that's a great idea to have it in the contract! I'll change mine asap as I am renewing this specific one in 2 weeks.
I guess I'm a little anxious about how her mother will react to me disciplining her child while she is there.But she really leaves me with no other option.
thanks for the advice  ;)

Offline jodaycare

• Infant
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 01:29:34 PM »
You are very welcome. Good luck.

Offline icebabe

• Infant
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 04:21:24 PM »
I would get the parent to give me a call when they are around the corner then I would get that child ready so when the parents come to the door their child is all set to go. Lol, not that you are throwing the child out, but you have other children there to think about as well. Hope this helps.

Offline julz

• Infant
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »
I don't tolerate that behaviour at any time whether the parent is there or not and have stepped in to take control of the situation. It's your house, your rules and while the kids are in your house they are to follow your rules regardless who is there.

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »
HOW Ironic...
I had a recent uproar at my home & the MOM condoned this behaviour everyday...
 with many warm cuddles and more 'on & on' coddling...

She says it is cause her DAD is away!

Yes! I grant you the child likely does miss her DAD...!

BUT it is NOT the DADs not being here, at time of p.u. time or even at drop offs...
The child goes out of control, ( not at all when it is just me)
The child LIKES ME!
In fact as soon as the child sees the MOM she STARTS with the drama!

She starts everytime because the MOM has never said firmly,
'Enough of that" or NO crying please...( & use the child's name)

Take it from the real  Super Nanny!  (not I, lol)
TELL YOUR CHILD WHAT YOU WANT!
(this does not have to be mean or degrading to them!
Just a simply & clear command...
 that crying & screaming and carrying on, is not acceptable or allowed!

I gave her NOTICE based on OTHER ligitimate reasons. (Parent got upset & instantly disliked me!
...what's new ?)
Anyhow, I got lucky....I had two other families request F/t service in January! Great News!
which also gave me a legitimate & legally done with 30 days NOTICE - OUT!
I am more than fair....& general crying is NOT a prob....
Clearly this MOM was NOT parelleling my child rearing/caring skills!
therefore when this is obvious, it is SMART of the daycare operator to provide a legitimate NOTICE before things become worse...as this care arrangment no longer worked for ME or the others who have had this type of experience!   Most kids stop crying after a few days or Do not cry...at all.
Her crying etc., was being RE-enforced as a 'good' thing to the child.

It was getting to regular & rediculous & yes 'out of control'!
This also left the other daycare childen waaay stressed & upset, & at times copying her crying.

Last straw, the child was hallering and the MOM wanted to carry her it into the daycare at 12 NOON,
while the others were hungry & awaiting their lunches!...

Normally, I'd allow access to the actual daycare room, N/p! :)
BUT that time!!!!! This would have set-off the hungry infants, as they were being good in their chairs whilst I was at the door..remember it's was 12 NOON time!

I told her NO & that I am not hiding anything in there!
"Go see for yourself" ( proper # of kids etc)
but I will NOT allow you to carry your child INTO the daycare like that!!!!!!!!!  
What am I to do have 5 kids crying & then the MOM will leave...
GREAT!!

Parents maybe prehaps do not realize ONE crying child could possible make them all cry... at the same time!

By cuddling her and coddling her....The Child ONLY anticipates the  cuddling & caudling!

I know this is a 'habit'....that the MOM has instilled in her child; as she cryes and hollers when (only) sees the MOM!

If I tell her THAT ....I would said you are re- enforcing her behaviour...
I would have received her NOTICE!  lol
This way I did it....as I had a ligitiamate NOTICE reason!
& was not because I do not like them , as it is the MOM NON re-action, I don't approve of!

AS the little girl was nice when the MOM was not around & the MOM was nice too, just a little out of touch with reality and her child!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:28:06 PM by Icare »

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources