Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: screaming  (Read 3216 times)

Offline marie-Claude

• Infant
screaming
« on: September 17, 2009, 01:44:33 PM »
My 21 month old screams at the top of his lungs for everything all day. Ex. Someone tried to hug him,someone is playing with a toy he now wants , because he is frustrated and needs help ith something.. he drops a toy .. and the list goes on..It's driving me crazy,he screams every  few minutes it seems!!!
Time out don't work( I think he may be too young?)  Things recently took a turn for the worst because he stopped napping in the morning and only naps in the afternoon now. so him being tired doesn't help :(
he is sooooo impatient,as soon as I start to prepare a snack he wants it now and screams or cries until I'm done preparing it and serve him, same with supper.I'm exhausted, I have a daycare which he part of and he alone is using up all ,my energy  :(
what to do ???

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
Re: screaming
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »
This is such a tricky situation and many parents as well as caregivers have been in the same situation.  The main thing i can suggest is to encourage him to use his words or provide him the words required.  The other thing i can suggest is if you know he is hungry and supper is not ready yet to provide him with a small, but not filling snack. 
Time outs don't work for all kids, for some it makes things worse. This is a phase and he will outgrow it.

Offline swisscanmom

• Infant
    • Nature Friends Childcare
Re: screaming
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 07:27:49 PM »
He has learned that screaming works.
Now you need to focus on teaching that screaming does not work. NEVER give him what he wants when he screams. Tell him calmly that he needs to use his words, and focus your attention elsewhere until he calms down.

My son was a screamer/tantrum thrower and I found he very much need to have time to himself to calm down. I used to put him in his crib in his room and went to get him as soon as he calmed down and praised him lots for doing so. I don't see this as time out/punishment, but a safe way for him to collect himself and figure out how to calm himself.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources