Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: CBC probe reveals problems at Manitoba daycares  (Read 1202 times)

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
CBC probe reveals problems at Manitoba daycares
« on: November 19, 2009, 11:18:45 AM »
If you're thinking of going to a restaurant, you can check the internet for health violations.

If you're buying a car, you can take it to a mechanic.

But how do you know whether the daycare you're selecting for your child is safe?

A CBC I-Team investigation has uncovered some disturbing incidents at Manitoba daycares.

One happened at the Tache Daycare Centre in the town of Lorette, located about 20 kilometres southeast of Winnipeg of in 2006. The investigative team learned of it through provincial government documents gained through access-to-information requests.

During a fire drill, an infant was left unattended inside while the building was evacuated, according to the documents. The staff didn't keep a record of the incident and the child's parents were not informed.

However, three days later, a complaint investigation by a provincial inspector found that the daycare was not keeping proper daily records. They ordered the facility to retrain staff and revise their emergency evacuation procedures.

The daycare now has a new director, a new building and a new evacuation plan.

Violation information hard to come by

But it's not easy for parents, or any member of the public, to find information about prior violations at a daycare.

The information about the Lorette daycare came from licensing orders, which were obtained by the I-Team from government. The orders list violations that are considered serious enough for the centre's licence to be investigated, suspended or, in some cases, for them to be shut down immediately.

Website will soon list violations
Gord Mackintosh, Manitoba's family services and housing minister, agrees that licensing orders should be made available to the public

"I think it shows that the department has done a good job in communicating to parents whose children are enrolled in the centre," Mackintosh said, "but when it comes to prospective parents, there should be a better job done. And that's why I think the internet is very valuable."

According to Mackintosh, a new web-based information system should be rolled out by the end of the year. A new website will list previous licensing orders.

Full article
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2009/11/18/f-man-daycares-iteam.html

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources