Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Juice vs Water  (Read 12590 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Juice vs Water
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:01:23 PM »
Did you know daycare centres have removed Juice from its menus? They find water is better for children and doesnt decay teeth.

Offline stephenmiller

• Infant
Re: Juice vs Water
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 02:04:32 AM »
Juice is good for health. So the daycare center should not remove it from their menu. They should keep it in the menu not regularly but they can give it at least twice a week to children.

Offline Stubbynose

• Infant
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »
I don't agree with that either…. they can still serve it (even watered down if need be)once a day along with Milk and water. I think they do it for $$ reasons long before health reasons!

My daughter worked in a daycare centre and I was horrified by their menus and what they had for craft supplies! She eventually quit because of it…it is pretty bad when they run out of food for the kids lunches( they were given a platter of plain totillia chips as a substitute as that was all they had left in the kitchen) and my daughter had to go to the nearest store and buy the kids in her care (1-2 year olds) food and snacks for that day!!! The owner would not reimburse her for it either…. the owners response was they had the chips to eat that was good enough!! My daughter just looked at her and said these kids don't even have all their teeth yet and you expect them to chow down on a tortilla chip?? My daughter complained in writing but it did no good…..same with craft supplies….
my daughter was told to use old faded construction paper that was once used for a back ground on a bulletin board and was full of holes from push pins and or staples ….really??? Your kidding me she said….nope the owner removed all the paper from the garbage and handed it to my daughter and said use it there is nothing else. My daughter had to bring in supplies from home when it came time for arts and crafts for special occasions ,and even toys she brought home as the owner did not have enough toys for the kids. It was a very poorly run facility,but, never got closed down , the inspectors always found nothing wrong…..Hmmm…guess it helps when one is friends with the inspector!!!   So I guess what I am saying it could be based on the $$$ more so than health …. I know the kids do not get a lot of food….and if they don't like what is being served there is nothing else served….how many kids do you know that will eat tuna casserole??? Not to many that I have ever known!! Heck..i wouldn't eat it..gross!!

Offline tea and cookies

• Infant
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »
I have to say that's horrid.  I serve real juice not that awful sugar water crapola 1 part juice 3 parts water, except for breakfast that always has undiluted fresh orange juice.  I have my kids outside 2-3 hours  a day, and for my own kids its juice at snack, milk at lunch and dinner.  Why do anything differently for the dck's.  Personally, I feel that  of centers and most providers serve food that is very poor quality ( please note that I am speaking of persons that I know personally and not anyone on this site.  People should think of food as fuel to grow bodies and minds not filler.  Would these same people put the cheapest gas into to their cars or hire the cheapest contractors to fix their foundation? Sad really sad, and we wonder where this crisis of bad eaters has come from.  GRDs.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources