Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Taxes and unlicensed childcare  (Read 4741 times)

Offline KatGab

  • Infant
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Taxes and unlicensed childcare
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:10:42 PM »
I'm starting an unlicensed daycare in my home, and would like to give receipts and claim certain expenses. Where can I get more info on what I can claim and how to go about this?

Offline jodaycare

  • Infant
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Re: Taxes and unlicensed childcare
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:17:57 PM »
You don't need to be licensed to give receipts or claim expenses. Just keep track of parents payments. Everything you spend for the daycare (keep all receipts) directly is 100% deductible, this includes toys, food, craft supplies, storage bins, highchairs, playpens, room decor etc. You can also claim a portion of your household expenses (mortgage interest, hydro, property taxes, gas, water, house insurance). If you use your car for daycare you can claim a portion of that too. Google the Canada Revenue Agency and there is a section there on using your home for daycare, it is a bit vague but it gives you an idea. When you file your taxes, put yourself down as self employed. Hope this helps.


©2016 All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources