Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Sensory  (Read 2869 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Sensory
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:35:50 AM »
I always have a sensory activity for the week. I sometimes fill a bin simply with water and food color with measuring spoons etc in it...or I use a sand box , or have a feely board with various textures and feely things on it, furry , rough, smooth etc.. Playdough can be used in so many ways..it can be smelly playdough using chocolate pudding mix..or it can be strawberry smell...or it can just be different colors using food color.just playing with it is a sensory activity.  Flour spread on table and children can draw in the flour (or preschool children can practice writing their names in it).  Goop and Gak are made with glue and water and borax and is a neat texture...anyone ever make silly puddy?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: Sensory
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:36:35 AM »
Oh, I have had a noodle factory before..using rice and various kinds ofnoodles and measuring cups etc...older children can learn to sort using these noodles.

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 11:55:39 AM »
I have sensory bins I change out every two weeks.  This is what I currently have:

- rice
- water play
- mixed beans (this is their favourite!)
- white sand - too dusty so I use it outside  If you can get black sand that works well.
- corn meal
- lentils - so silky,  I love them!
- styrofoam chips but beware, they get static-y!
- mixed dry noodles
- non drying, moulding sand
- non drying, moulding, colourful foam

Throughout the year for a change and typically just for one day we will have magic mud (usually for Hallowe'en), popped popcorn (again, usually Hallowe'en or Thanskgiving - then we use the popcorn to make a ghost after!), dirt and plastic flowers for Spring, jello, snow, mud (usually outside!), wet noodles (typically for Hallowe'en).

Every two weeks I make new playdough and we use Kool-Aid (unsweetened - it will be sticky, otherwise!) for the colour and scent.  At Christmas I make gingerbread playdough - just dry brown paint and spices.  I also make peppermint by adding food colour and baking flavours (peppermint then I also like to do orange, vanilla, etc.  Watkins has different types).  Today I have to make cherry-red for Valentines.

Then we always have sensory painting every theme.  This past week we did corn syrup fingerpainting with Kool-Aid (again, colour and scent) so you are getting the feel, smell, sight and taste!  We used heart-shaped fingerpaint paper.  I have also added Kool-Aid to the easle paint to surprise them.  I stock up when Extra Foods has the no name brand on 10 for $1.

I also stock up on scented bubble baths when I can find them at a good price.  We had grape and strawberry the past couple months.    I have also used aromatherapy oils before.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »
Thanks for list of sensory activities.  I do want to mention that styrofoam is considered to be a suffocating hazard and therefore should not be used with children.  Apparently a piece of styrofoam can get lodged into the childs airway and can suffocate the child....just a tid bit of information i thought you may want to know.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 01:59:39 PM »
Thats certainly worth noting..although that particular sensory item would not be used with babies or under age 3s..nor would the uncooked noodles that I use - as they too are a choking hazzard for todds...
there are always age appropriate activities. For example I use marbles with the schoolagers in the schoolage room, but would never obviously use marbles with preschoolers or babies...I also use wood chips for sensory and put farm animals (plastic :) ones) in the woodchips and have popsicle sticks and fensing to create a farm zone in the sensory bin...and again this would not be used with tods or babies.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources