Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: Child proofing the home  (Read 3699 times)

Offline mvb

• Infant
Child proofing the home
« on: February 10, 2008, 12:02:32 PM »
What kind of child proofing do other parents do in their homes? Ultimately you can't proof everything. To what extent do you go?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: Child proofing the home
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 01:19:09 PM »
Good question! 

I put those electric socket covers on all my outlets and use babygates at tops and bottoms of stairs and use those door knob covers that are child proof and you have to squeeze them to open the door..I also keep medications high and in a locked cupboard as well as all cleaning supplies are locked up (using child proof locks). Sizzors and sharp knives are also kept up high and out of reach to children as well as laundry supplies and the garage is off bounds where we keep all tools and paints or toxic chems for cars etc...glass items are simply kept high or out of reach. Because I also run a daycare, I have made the environment where the children are child friendly adn child oriented and have removed all items that really arent for kids..that way its really the daycare room..not my stuff..some parents go that far and make the family room completely child oriented and do not have to worry about teaching them to leave the pretties alone..however when my kdis were little I did keep my pretties out and did a lot of teaching and redirecting and saying no...until they just learn.  (That way when you go visiting, they are likely to leave the "pretties" alone)

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 01:48:22 PM »
Very good answer Spud. Thanks for that. Any suggestions for  parents in regards to items that cannot be moved or put away or items with sharp corners.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »
If the environment the child is in is not child proof then be prepared to be within arms reach at all times...and be prepared to do lots of teaching!  Never expose a child to something dangerous just because its pretty and you want to keep it in the childs play area...remove it. ie a pretty glass figurine or glass corned tables... There are some plastic corners that can be glued/taped to corners but i dont find they stay on...

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
How does one protect children from sharp furniture corners? (tv stands, entertainment units and such). Let's facce it, these items can't be moved easilty.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 03:40:32 PM »
Like I said, there are these plastic corner covers you can buy, but i dont find they stick long..so I ended up simply removing the coffee table all together and put things in the corners of the room (ie tv stand and book case-which i also bolted to the wall so it cant tip over onto child) so there arent any corners left sticking out..I bought wood as apposed to glass...and looked for rounded corners..what furnature i had in my living room/ childcare rooms were carefully determined by safety not fashion.  As the family gets older these items can be returned or can be redecorated...I suggest making the room you spend most often with the family and young child be as child friendly as possible for those limited years it needs to be that way (time passes ever so quickly!)
another suggestion for rooms that just cant be redone...is to use the corners wisely, and baby gates and accessories can be used to help isolate the child from the edges and fireplaces etc. can check out this web site for various gates available that can be set up in living rooms ie fireplace
http://www.babygates.com/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:45:09 PM by spud »

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
Also its important to put blind strings and pull cords up high so children cannot be hung by them. And of course always cook on back burners with your pot handles facing in and away and never leave cords hanging from appliances..like a kettle, hair dryer...

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 08:20:03 PM »
I remember going to a friends house and it was completely bare when their kids were little!  I mean, it wasn't that they had taken away items that could be broken, (child proofing) etc. -  they put EVERYTHING away.  Those children did not learn 'no' and to this day they are so spoiled (aged 14 and 12) because they never were told they could not have something!!  While our house was child-proofed for our children I didn't put every plant, ornament, photo frame away.  They had to learn 'No' and 'hands down' and just like spud said, then they know when they went elsewhere.  Now my preschool is seperate from my home and it is a completely child-oriented environment but they still have to learn respect for property, that certain things are the teacher's, other peoples, etc.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources