Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: child care = education  (Read 4155 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
child care = education
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:32:03 AM »
There is a growing consensus that child care and early education are inseparable.

In the end of the 1990s, there has been a convergence of ideas about why and how early childhood care and education (or early childhood development services) are important not only for individual Canadian children and families but for Canadian society-at-large. Researchers, policy analysts, and sectoral groups in diverse fields - economics, health and medicine, education, human rights, and business groups - have come to support traditional advocates in feminist, social justice and trade union circles to insist that action on child care is imperative. There is broad recognition that a strategy for developing early childhood services that offer both early childhood education to strengthen healthy development for all children and child care to support mothers' labour force participation is in the public interest.

That Canada does not provide adequate early childhood care and education has been well documented and is not in dispute. Central to the weakness of existing approaches to early childhood development services is that a coherent public policy has not been developed. As a result, there is even more fragmentation and incoherence of services than there was two decades ago. The mishmash of services offers "educational"kindergarten for almost all five-year-olds. However, as it is mostly part-day, and of only one year's duration, Canadian preschoolers' early education opportunities are much more limited than are those of their peers in most countries in mainland Europe where virtually all three-to five-year-olds attend publicly-funded full school-day programs. In Canada, to fill this gap, some preschoolers younger than kindergarten age attend part-day nursery schools - if their parents can afford to pay.

http://www.childcarecanada.org/pt98/pre.html

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
Re: child care = education
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 03:07:23 PM »
Very good article, spud.   I am working with our provincial ECE organization and with BCGEU in working towards a provincial prgoram for all children.  The Speech from the Throne yesterday had that the BC government is planning on adding another 314 Strong Start ptrograms (to the existing 86 they started this year) which is a parent/child interactive program run by an ECE in the school system, free of charge to families.  The thing though, it is geared towards stay-at-home parents and the majority of children are left out.  They are looking at making Kindergarten full-day and they are doing a feasibility study of full-day Kindergarten for four's by 2010 and for three's by 2012.   There is lots of questions, concerns and some good things but more info. is needed.  I look forward to working with these groups to get the info.  I am also working with the local school district so maybe I will get a job with them!

Offline JandJ

• Infant
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:59:52 AM »
I am considering to take Child Day Care Management course from ICS Learn.ca. Hopefully this will be a good start to my business. I wonder this ICSLearn.ca is recognize in BC.
 I know I have to look into business license and other regulations.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:29:07 PM by JandJ »

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 04:18:46 PM »
Hi JandJ,

I would suggest that before you sign up for the course to contact your local licensing office and also call ICS to find out if they are recognized in BC.  It would be a shame to put all the money into the course and then find out that it won't be recognized.  Start here and let us know.

Offline swisscanmom

• Infant
    • Nature Friends Childcare
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 02:56:57 PM »
You may want to look into the Family Childcare Training  offered through the Canadian Childcare Federation.
It is very good, and well, Canadian, lol. I have taken Levels 1 and 2!

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources