Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Poll

When do you make your children wear helmets?

only while biking as required by law
While biking, skateboarding, and hockey
always during any activity that a head injury could occur
I do not require my child to wear a helmet ever
not while toboganning or recreationally skating

Author Topic: Helmets!  (Read 1680 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Helmets!
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:54:33 AM »
I have noticed that helmets are being promoted more and more every year. Now that winter is here, we also hear of the importance to wear a helmet while skating (yes, even just recreationally) and while tobaganning.  Do you make your child wear a helmet when toboganning? Do you care if your child puts up a fight about it ie " others dont wear one"?

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Re: Helmets!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 01:08:19 PM »
Interesting enough, The first news article I read after I posted that:

they revealed the results of a study completed on the after-effects of concussions on 3,000 former NFL players. The study demonstrated that, in addition to serious mental and cognitive problems, the ex-football players had to deal with depression - depression that at times led to suicide attempts, or successful suicides - that may be a direct result of repeated concussions.

"(The adverse symptoms were) much more common than we would have expected, than a general population shows," Dr. Julian Bailes, of the University's Center for the Study of Retired Athletes, told the CBC. "It was correlated with the number of concussions or head injuries they had during their football playing career."

The University's conclusions should alarm any person who's had a severe concussion. And for hockey players who put their heads at risk every time they set skates on the ice, the study is positively frightening.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources