Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Author Topic: The daycare dilemma  (Read 8555 times)

Offline CareDC

• Administrator
  • Schoolager
The daycare dilemma
« on: September 22, 2010, 12:22:41 PM »
And despite the fact that working women still only make about 71 cents to ever $1 that men make, these numbers still mean that women’s work is a huge portion of our gross domestic product, more than ever.

So why does our government ignore the needs of working mothers and mothers in general? Why must women go through such stress just to be able to work outside the home? Why are women taking part-time jobs, evening work, temporary contracts and work from home opportunities in numbers higher than ever before when they are also more highly educated than ever before, and indeed hold more post-secondary degrees than men?

The answer is simple. In Canada, it actually is almost impossible to “have it all.” To be a working mom with your children in a stable and safe daycare environment is a dream many women just can’t reach.

Despite the fact that women’s contribution to the economy is huge, our government’s contribution to women’s work is minuscule. The Canadian government spends just 0.02 per cent of its GDP on early childhood education for three to six-year-olds, which is half of what it spends on all child care for children ages newborn to 12 years.

http://www.thewesternstar.com/Opinion/Columns/2010-09-22/article-1783260/The-daycare-dilemma-/1

Offline aj

• Infant
Re: The daycare dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »
I agree.  I am able to work full time but I have to pay $2,000 permonth for child care.  Luckily I earn enough to still make it worth it, but not everybody does.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources