Canadian Parenting and Child Care Community forums - parent and childcare provider advice and discussions

Poll

How long did you breastfeed your baby?

I did not breastfeed at all
Less than 3 months
6-9 months
one year
over a year

Author Topic: Breastfeeding  (Read 7984 times)

Offline spud

• kindergartner
Breastfeeding
« on: February 13, 2008, 12:02:09 PM »
Breastfeeding has many many benefits as many/most people know. Sometimes mothers find it difficult to nurse and for various reasons cannot or do not persue it.  How long did you nurse? Did you have any troubles? Do you feel your baby benefitted from breastmilk? Did you nurse AND bottle feed? How did that go? any nipple confusion?  Did anyone (else) suffer from mastitis or cracked nipples?

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
Re: Breastfeeding
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
I nursed my oldest for 16 months and my youngest for 25 months.  I also nursed them while working with the children.  It is very cute to see children 'nursing' their dolls!  Of course I was very discreet and one little boy went home and told his mom that I fed my baby from my belly because they couldn't see anything, he just figured the baby was facing my belly so that must be where the food was coming from!  I had a family childcare when I had my oldest and another mom was so thrilled to see me nursing and she continued nursing her daughter as I welcomed her to come on her lunch break to feed her. I had an exemption so my youngest attended the school-aged-  the children could care less what I was doing!

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 04:09:48 PM »
What made you decided to breastfeed until 25 months and what prompted you to stop.  Was your daughter drinking homo milk as well or just breastfeeding?

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »
I went with 'child-led' weaning and my youngest wanted to nurse longer.   My husband was not so comfortable with it but I ignored him!  With research showing there is less of a chance of breast cancer from longer nursing, I was comfortable nursing longer than average.  My doctor encouraged it and he said the actual world-average is four years although I wasn't going to be nursing her in preschool!

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:18:10 AM »
So the child does eventually wean itself (LOL)(although at times it seems like they never want to give it up  :D ) Thanks for the information on breastfeeding longer and the reduction of breast cancer, i will bet there are many women out there that didn't know this, just like myself.  This just makes you wonder why other drs. and pediatricians suggest shortening breastfeeding and not feeding them through the night.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 08:44:22 AM »
yet another similarity between Jen and I lol
I too nursed until she decided she was done.  My babies never saw a bottle, not ever (and yes that means i did nt leave them with babysitters either..cuz i didnt even pump...i just nursed) My doc said to nurse solely for at least 6 months..so i did and actually introduced foods very slowly to them as the breastmilk is actually so very perfectly formulated for the baby. Did you know in the summer breast milk actually thins out and gets more watery to help fight dehydration...and if ever mommy is fighting off a virus the baby gets antibodies before getting infected and often does not actually get sick from the same virus.  The body is amazing for customizing the milk to suit the needs of the baby.  I found my babies rarely cried and felt very comforted by nursing..it put them to sleep in a flash lol
My youngest nursed until her 4th birthday and then we had a "Talk" and mutually agreed that preschool children going into JK do NOT nurse..so it ended on a happy note and I never felt like I forced her to stop.  (My girls are also very healthy little people..not sure if its all from breastfeeding but it certainly helped build strong bodies and minds!)

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 11:07:52 AM »
Another reason to nurse longer, it is known to make chidlren's brains 'smarter'!  I have wondered if that is why my girls are above average.  spud is right about illnesses - if I got sick my little ones didn't because they were getting the antibodies.  One thing I do feel guilty about (even though we never could have known!) both my girls have the nut allergy and with my oldest, I was eating peanut butter and she was colicky for 10 months!  The doctors couldn't figure it out but at 6 months they did think she had asthma although they couldn't tell until after age 2.  When my oldest went into anaphylactic shock (from peanut butter on toast crusts) then we knew she had the allergy and did away with peanut butter, nuts, etc. and her colic stopped!  So I feel terrible that the residue from the nuts was in the milk and made her so miserable and that is why I didn't get any sleep, screaming baby all day/night.  We knew better with the youngest so things were easier BUT this past summer when her sister was away we let her have one of her Dad's cashews (we only eat nuts when they are away and we thought the youngest ddin't have the allergy) and we ended up at the hospital but because she reacted within a few minutes I was able to get her to the hospital before anaphylacsis started.

Offline spud

• kindergartner
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:52:51 AM »
I nver thought about the allergy aspect of it creating an allergy through breastmilk..intersting..interstingly more, i didnt eat much if any peanut butter during my pregnancy or while lactating..although I ate lots of eggs I think..but my girls have no allergies at all..and are straight A students in school...I wonder if violin lessons helped them learn math..i hear music correlates with math understanding.

Offline Laura

• Global Moderator
  • Preschooler
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 02:26:51 PM »
Wow what an interesting read...definitely somethings to keep in mind while breastfeeding.  I knew about the peanut/nut allergy, but thought that if the parents didn't have such allergies then the child was not prone to getting allergies easily (i guess i was wrong!)

Colicky at 10 months, wow, i thought it was supposed to end at 3 months or so.  I guess if things are out of the ordinary with the little ones, it is something to investigate further.

Offline jharrisece

• Preschooler
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 03:08:46 PM »
Yes, music is supposed to help with math so we put out oldest in organ lessons (which she loved and she was already learning to read music at school anyways) and she is a whiz at math!  That is my one weakness when it came to school!

Life was miserable with our oldest and everyone said if they had one like that they wouldn't have anymore!  It is the reasons ours are 10 years apart!  We know that the colic was actually pain from the nuts so I felt guilty.

Offline Icare

• Toddler
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 01:06:09 PM »
Yes, I too chose to breastfeed. ;)

In 1989 I gave birth to my only son, who will soon be 19 in JULY. 
I had decided to breastfeed during the pregnancy, as I had been doing plenty of reading in preparation to his arrival.

I found it painful when the milk "came down" upon beginning of each feeding...BUT I
persevered and continued until he was about 6 months.  At 6 months I felt that I was not producing enough to maintain his sustenance, therefore went with formula for the duration till 10 months when we decided it was time for NO more bottle...
He was drinking from a sippy cup at that time, so whole milk for another few months and then regular 2% after that..

I do think it benefited my son Adam, and definitely improved upon the BONDING between
mother and child!

A happy time it was... for both he and I... !  :)
Plus his DAD had one less chore, to help us out with...lol!

Offline sunshine2012

• Infant
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 12:21:52 AM »
I am still breast feeding and my baby is 9 month and 3 weeks old. I never had cracked nipples except in the begining from pumping to get my milk to come in. I have no problem with milk supply. My baby does benifit from the breast milk. Sometimes some mom's have to give it a try and go from that point on.

Offline preeti22

• Infant
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 06:16:54 AM »
Hii all momiesssss.
I would like to say breastfeeding is the best way for baby feeding at least baby need 6 month feeding. it's ok up to baby becoming 6 month old, Doctor also recommend it.

©2016 godaycare.com. All rights reserved

Privacy and Terms of Use | Contact Us | Read our FAQ | Resources